News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The Choice "two garage queens"

Started by James Landi, May 11, 2022, 07:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Dear CLC Members,

My request for opinions focuses on a choice between two Allantes... Please don't respond with advice that states that I'm NUTS-  (I'm well aware of my Cadillac Affliction Syndrome)--- if only a few or no one responds, that message will be clear to me.     So here's the choice, as follows:

Both Allantes are 1988 models, both have been owned by folks my age (76), both have been loved, garaged and both are for sale for way  less than 10K.   

Allante #1 has accumulated 122,000, owned for 31 years, the present owner stores it in a HEATED garage, has a long list of repairs since he purchased it at 83,000-- Bosch brake booster,  a/c compressor, front struts, water pump, tune up and reseal of the intake (yes, that's the modified and improved version of the 4100), new top-- looks terrific. He very regularly changes all fluids--has complete documentation of all service and repairs:  Took it for a test drive-- runs as if new---my drive home is 376 miles, heavy traffic through Boston.

Allante #2 has accumulated a little over 50,000, owned by the same couple since 1991.  No major repair or replacements. Winter storage in unheated garage in the northest. A/C doesn't hold a charge. Drive home is 400 miles.

Both have tires replaced within the last 5 years...

Appreciate your thoughts and especially your advice regarding major repair humps and your estimate that I can make the trip home without risking life, limb, and arterial bank account bleeds along the way home. 

Gratefully,   James

Ohjai

James to me, it is a no-brainer.  Allante #1.  It has been well taken care of, where as #2 I would run from, AC not holding a charge indicates to me that it has much deferred maintenance which may be many gremlins down the line.

I would drive #1 home.  Probably would drive #2 home but would want to change all the fluids first, including the differential.

Just my opinion based on buying several cars long distance, and driving a few of them home.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

fishnjim

I don't think it's a no brainer.   Without some other evidence, can't predict the condition from this.   Generally, I'd go with lower miles, but is there documentation of the mileage, etc?   Body condition, etc.   NE can be salt damage.   
I'd look for a better car.   Price is only the first bite.

Jon S

Personally I would go with number two only because I think number one has been taken to the cleaners by his mechanics over and over for probably some unnecessary repairs. That being said number one is probably in superior mechanical condition. It really narrows down to color combination, condition of the interior and overall appearance of each car and what do you like the most. Very subjective.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

benji808

On paper I like car #1. If you're planning to drive it regularly, then the evidence that it has been driven, maintained, and repaired, in my opinion, are more important than the absolute mileage (if we were talking 200k miles I might feel differently).

Cars of this age though, no guarantees on keeping the bank account safe  :D

Bryan J Moran

Being a cheapskate, especially when it comes to Allante's - price is my determining factor.  Both cars - in my opinion - will cost you money after purchasing. 

Price would be my #1 consideration. 
CLC 35000 in number only

TJ Hopland

Have both had some regular driving recently?   If things are fairly equal otherwise I kinda lean to the one that has had more driving more recently.    My experience has been cars that have been sitting a lot more than driving have a greater chance of developing issues once you start driving em.   

The flip side is one that hasn't been driven that needs everything will get everything done so you should not have any surprises.   Guess I really wasn't any help.........
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jim Stamper

Buy them both, then it is just a matter of deciding which one to keep at your own pace.   Jim Stamper CLC#13470

TJ Hopland

I like Jim's advice.  Assuming you have the funds and parking spots its a great plan.  I don't have either so easy choice for me at the moment.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Abe Lugo

Number 2 for the mileage and one owner?

But are the options and color the same in both?
Which one made you happen when your drove it?

For the last suggestion.  Buy both. I actually have that and drive the one that I trust more.  When I should be driving the other that is a no frills nothing to lose classic.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

James Landi

UPDATE:   We're off tomorrow to perform a close inspection of #2-- the Allante with low mileage.  We deeply appreciate the advice provided thus far... yes, I take advice to heart, even some of the fun comments have merit --- "buy both" mentioned a couple of times called to my mind my dad's two 1970 Cadillacs--- he loved and enjoyed both of them, and purchased them used at bargain prices during the last fuel crisis and inflationary period.

If anyone else has some wisdom to share, I'd appreciate hearing from you.  I'm bringing tools with me, and I suspect we'll make our decison either tomorrow, (if we take the low mileage car), or next week, if we purchase the one with 122k.

And by the way, several of you mentioned color choice--- it's interesting that I, who loved firemist red Cadillacs, feel less inclined to go that way-- (low mileage is red)... My better seven eights will weigh in on the decision --- she's a wonderful person who likes our Cadillacs as well.   Again, appreciate the input thus far.  Gratefully, James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

James, what are you going to do with the car...
If its just a cruiser, I'd probably go with #1.
If you want a car to take to Cadillac shows, I'd go with the more original #2.
Only you can make that choice my friend, decide which is more important.
As we all know, the more original car will appreciate in value faster if that's a consideration.
Which car will make it home? You can't guarantee a brand new car off the showroom floor will
make it around the block.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

James Landi

"If you want a car to take to Cadillac shows, I'd go with the more original #2." 

At the end of the day, Laurie, we'd like to own either one that is more dependable...which, as you astutely state is simply a roll of the dice.   Tomorrow afternoon will be a BIG TELL, as we push off early to drive the 400 miles for inspection and potential purchase.  This should be a challenging day, in any event!   Thanks for your thoughts and channeling positive vibes, James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on May 12, 2022, 03:33:37 PM
"If you want a car to take to Cadillac shows, I'd go with the more original #2." 

At the end of the day, Laurie, we'd like to own either one that is more dependable...which, as you astutely state is simply a roll of the dice.   Tomorrow afternoon will be a BIG TELL, as we push off early to drive the 400 miles for inspection and potential purchase.  This should be a challenging day, in any event!   Thanks for your thoughts and channeling positive vibes, James

Your 'inner voice' will tell you which one is for you. Good luck!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

We selected car number 2 --- with the 56k miles on the Odometer...    so the one that lives close to Laurie on Cape Cod is still available, and is a great car for the money.  If you're interested in this one, please email me, and I'll provide you with further information.  jglandi@aol.com     Of the 11 of you who provided an opinion, the vote came in relatively even... I enjoyed your wisdom and advice... and yes, if I had the space, I'd likely own both!  Thanks for your "bon mots."

Car #2 has been owned by the same couple since it was 2 years old.  It is a 1988 with many refinements not yet added to the Allante model.  Frankly, not having the speed adaptive shocks is fine with me as they are no longer available when they wear out.  ALso, this car does not have the thief deterent ignition system, and it does not have the motorized pull downs on the windshield header... the car looks and rides beautifully, and the 400 mile drive home on Fridday went great.  It was, however, very sad to meet the ailing owner, who suffers from Parkinson's disease and is 88 years old.    The a/c works but is low on freon... does anyone know where to purchase r12??? 

Big Fins

Quote from: James Landi on May 15, 2022, 03:37:32 PM
   The a/c works but is low on freon... does anyone know where to purchase r12??? 

Check on FleaBay. Just go with the program and pacify the usage release people. Like Greg Surfas, said, this stuff is near $60/pound or 12 oz can, if you can get it.

You might get it sealed up before charging it up with the 'good stuff'. I did mine 7 years ago and haven't looked back.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

benji808

Congratulations! Post some pictures soon!

And yes - eBay or Craigslist for the R12, or if you call around you might be able to find a repair shop that still has it.

bcroe

I regard a car constantly driven as far more reliable than anything with super low mileage.  The latter will break down on the first trip.  400 miles is considered quite close here, its 1000 to the coast. 

My primary goal at a car show, is to have the highest mileage of any there.  Have to add an extra digit to prove it, as on this 62. 
Bruce Roe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on May 15, 2022, 03:37:32 PM
We selected car number 2 --- with the 56k miles on the Odometer...    so the one that lives close to Laurie on Cape Cod is still available, and is a great car for the money.  If you're interested in this one, please email me, and I'll provide you with further information.  jglandi@aol.com     Of the 11 of you who provided an opinion, the vote came in relatively even... I enjoyed your wisdom and advice... and yes, if I had the space, I'd likely own both!  Thanks for your "bon mots."

Car #2 has been owned by the same couple since it was 2 years old.  It is a 1988 with many refinements not yet added to the Allante model.  Frankly, not having the speed adaptive shocks is fine with me as they are no longer available when they wear out.  ALso, this car does not have the thief deterent ignition system, and it does not have the motorized pull downs on the windshield header... the car looks and rides beautifully, and the 400 mile drive home on Fridday went great.  It was, however, very sad to meet the ailing owner, who suffers from Parkinson's disease and is 88 years old.    The a/c works but is low on freon... does anyone know where to purchase r12??? 

I think you picked the right one. You were on the Cape and didn't let me know?  :(

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Here's the 1988 Allante...  she's a " beaut!"

NOw I'm fishing around for r 12.... Thanks again to all who took an interest in our choice making---you really did help, James