News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

55 Eldorado carb smoking

Started by swimbikerun, May 11, 2022, 10:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swimbikerun

New to this crew. I bought a 1955 Eldorado a week ago. They said the motor and trans were rebuilt and have about 25 miles on them. Car's been sitting for about 3+ years since the rebuild. The car does a few weird things, any help would be great. It seems to lose power when going up a hill, almost like it's starving(new gas tank was installed also). The car gets hot and has stalled out on me for about 30 minutes until it cooled off. Last night I drove it and I was getting smoke out of the passenger side batwing as well as the breather cap just in front of the radiator. And the car does idle high when in neutral. Thoughts?
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

Cadillac Jack 82

Do you know if the car was properly broken in before it sat?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Jon S

The loss of power and the stalling sound like "vapor lock" to me. Is the car running hot?  Smoke out of the bat wing sounds very dangerous to me as it is probably gasoline fumes from an overly rich carburetor. Smoke from the engine oil filler/ breather is normal when the engine is off. When the engine is running it should be drawing air in and blowby should be expelled from the tube at the rear of the passenger side of the engine. I assume you have checked the engine oil level.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

swimbikerun

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on May 11, 2022, 11:32:33 AM
Do you know if the car was properly broken in before it sat?

I would have to say no on that. They told me it only had about 25 miles on it. Any particular way I should be driving it? So far I've just been to and from work on slow city streets.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

swimbikerun

Quote from: Jon S on May 11, 2022, 11:34:08 AM
The loss of power and the stalling sound like "vapor lock" to me. Is the car running hot?  Smoke out of the bat wing sounds very dangerous to me as it is probably gasoline fumes from an overly rich carburetor. Smoke from the engine oil filler/ breather is normal when the engine is off. When the engine is running it should be drawing air in and blowby should be expelled from the tube at the rear of the passenger side of the engine. I assume you have checked the engine oil level.
Oil looks great, yes it feels like a vapor lock. I'm going to have a mechanic adjust the idle/carbs today or tomorrow. I would say the car is running hot.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

Jon S

Quote from: swimbikerun on May 11, 2022, 12:58:44 PM
Oil looks great, yes it feels like a vapor lock. I'm going to have a mechanic adjust the idle/carbs today or tomorrow. I would say the car is running hot.

Also have him check the timing. If it's running hot, it could be retarded.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

wheikkila

I would check the flow in the radiator. It could be the thermostat is not opening correctly. If you have a themo gun you can check for hot and cold spots. The guns are inexpensive and work well.   
                         Thanks Wayne

swimbikerun

Quote from: wheikkila on May 11, 2022, 07:38:54 PM
I would check the flow in the radiator. It could be the thermostat is not opening correctly. If you have a themo gun you can check for hot and cold spots. The guns are inexpensive and work well.   
                         Thanks Wayne
I was just thinking that also.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

swimbikerun

Quote from: wheikkila on May 11, 2022, 07:38:54 PM
                         Thanks Wayne
Replaced the thermostat today from the 180 that was in it to a 160. Drove for about 30 and it seems really happy. Tomorrow is supposed to be quiet a bit hotter so that'll be the test. I'm also taking it in for a tune up on the carbs, timing on Tuesday. Thanks so much!
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

35-709

Sounds like your original thermostat was sticking.  I would have stuck with the 180, if it cools with the 160 but not the 180, you have other problems.  The 180 allows more efficient engine operation and less sludge build-up.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

swimbikerun

A couple new things I've noticed today. Someone abandoned the original fuel filter that comes our of the fuel pump and ran an inline fuel filter down that touches the engine case, so I think that's contributing to the vapor lock. And I'm curious if these adjustments on the carb pictures are correct as my car idles very high.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado