News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Aloha From Hawaii - Bought a '59 And Need To Drive it 2000+ Miles Upon Pick Up

Started by Deaf Paul, May 11, 2022, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaf Paul

Aloha from Oahu, Hawaii. 8)

I'm a deaf teacher on Oahu who has always wanted a white hardtop ever since I saw my first one about 30 years ago.  To date, I have only seen one other '59 since then (pink, 13 years ago).  I'm really excited!

I bought a 1959 white 6-window base Series 62 online over the weekend that was in Mississippi.  It has been picked up (trailered) by an online friend and is now in Lafayette, Louisiana waiting for me to fly over at the end of June to pick up and do a long weeks-long round-about drive across America before arriving in San Diego to drop it off to be shipped home to Oahu.

I've been searching for a good resource/one stop place with basic must-do mods and modernizing tips/upgrade recommendations but have come up short so far, only finding bits and pieces of information and tips scattered across the forums.  Does anybody have a good one-stop website or resource folder that they can share or suggest?  Little things like - use this Napa oil filter, NOT the other brands.  Missing that metal washer/grommet thing in the oil filter? - Here's what to do.  Generators suck, upgrade to an alternator (mine has that already).  Can't find the gas door?  It's in the middle of the rear bumper.  Wiper motor not working (mine apparently doesn't) - Here's which fuse to check, or here's where to get a refurb or get one rebuilt.  Things like that?

A few questions I have off of the bat:  Does anybody in the Lafayette area have a recommendation for a good shop that's familiar/trustworthy with the '59 Caddys that can go through the car for me and make sure it's ready for when I fly out to pick it up?  Based on what my friend tells me...

It has the cap/rotor ignition set up.  Can this be upgraded to an electronic ignition? Recommended to do so?  Is this an easy, reasonable thing to do?  I intend to daily drive this car.  It currently diesels some when car is turned off and my friend says he suspects the timing is too advanced, and the car feels sluggish.

I've also read multiple posts about with the vacuum issues causing the timing to advance and causing heat issues.  I want to make sure I don't have heat issues during my trip as it will be mid-summer and I'll be driving across states like Texas, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona on my way to California (has aftermarket AC upgrade).  Is there a good explanation how to get this addressed once and for all or a upgrade kit to prevent this kind of issue from ever occuring?

Any other things/concerns I should be checking and sorting out in advance as well?

Many thanks everybody!  Stoked to be a '59 Caddy owner at long last!

-Paul

1959 Series 62 6-Window

Big Fins

Quote from: Deaf Paul on May 11, 2022, 06:14:14 PM
Aloha from Oahu, Hawaii. 8)

I'm a deaf teacher on Oahu who has always wanted a white hardtop ever since I saw my first one about 30 years ago.  To date, I have only seen one other '59 since then (pink, 13 years ago).  I'm really excited!
*As you should be. Congratulations!

I bought a 1959 white 6-window base Series 62 online over the weekend that was in Mississippi.  It has been picked up (trailered) by an online friend and is now in Lafayette, Louisiana waiting for me to fly over at the end of June to pick up and do a long weeks-long round-about drive across America before arriving in San Diego to drop it off to be shipped home to Oahu.

*I'm looking at a problem with this? With the time and the funds, what a great trip that would be.

I've been searching for a good resource/one stop place with basic must-do mods and modernizing tips/upgrade recommendations but have come up short so far, only finding bits and pieces of information and tips scattered across the forums.  Does anybody have a good one-stop website or resource folder that they can share or suggest?  Little things like - use this Napa oil filter, NOT the other brands.  Missing that metal washer/grommet thing in the oil filter? - Here's what to do.  Generators suck, upgrade to an alternator (mine has that already).  Can't find the gas door?  It's in the middle of the rear bumper.  Wiper motor not working (mine apparently doesn't) - Here's which fuse to check, or here's where to get a refurb or get one rebuilt.  Things like that?
*Hard to say that aside of this forum and maybe one or two others, there really isn't any one stop shop anymore.

A few questions I have off of the bat:  Does anybody in the Lafayette area have a recommendation for a good shop that's familiar/trustworthy with the '59 Caddys that can go through the car for me and make sure it's ready for when I fly out to pick it up?  Based on what my friend tells me...
*Do your research and see what;'s available. Join the CLC and you'll have many members that can help you, both in getting started and finishing at the end. The Directory is like carrying a Bible.

It has the cap/rotor ignition set up.  Can this be upgraded to an electronic ignition? Recommended to do so?  Is this an easy, reasonable thing to do?  I intend to daily drive this car.  It currently diesels some when car is turned off and my friend says he suspects the timing is too advanced, and the car feels sluggish.
*Yes, but why? The points ignition works great when set up correctly. I did it with no issues to my '59, but my '69 runs just as sweet with the standard ignition. Parts are no issues to get....YET!!

I've also read multiple posts about with the vacuum issues causing the timing to advance and causing heat issues.  I want to make sure I don't have heat issues during my trip as it will be mid-summer and I'll be driving across states like Texas, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona on my way to California (has aftermarket AC upgrade).  Is there a good explanation how to get this addressed once and for all or a upgrade kit to prevent this kind of issue from ever occuring?
*This will all depend on the condition of the engine, cooling system, fuel and the overall car. There are very little concerns over ignition vacuum as there would be a mid 70's model year.

Any other things/concerns I should be checking and sorting out in advance as well?
*All fluids changed, filters as applicable. Clean fuel tank and fuel system. Brakes, bearings, the whole car, bumper to bumper if you want some reassurance of an incident free drive in a strange car. Especially if you are too old to get out and push.

Many thanks everybody!  Stoked to be a '59 Caddy owner at long last!
*I wish I was again!

-Paul
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

fishnjim

I'd rent a truck and trailer or save the airfare and get a car hauler.
This is what dreams are.   

dinhnguyen57

I agree.  Sorting any old car out takes time and mileage.  I would not take it long distances without spending a lot of time driving it locally for awhile.  Imagine if it breaks down in who knows where.  Likely modern mechanics will be reluctant to do any repairs and likely parts will not be immediately available.  It's a big risk.

Beautiful car.
1941 Series 62 coupe
1959 Eldorado Seville
1990 Allante
2007 Mercedes S550
2009 STS
2018 Chrysler Pacifica

Deaf Paul

Thank you for your feedback Big Fins, Fishn' Jim, and Dinhnguyen57.

A little too hard to quote you due to your comments being inserted into the body of my entire post being quoted, but I agree with the " With the time and the funds, what a great trip that would be." comment.

I have the time, and I have the funds.  I have a friend who is holding the car for me who can do the basics for me as needed, or bring it to a suitable mechanic for more complex tasks as needed/suggested.  I agree, it has the makings of an epic trip.  I did the same thing last summer with a hotrod van I bought (which broke down in New Mexico - failed fuel pump, but two days later a fresh one was in the tank and I was on my way again to the west coast).  I don't regret making the trip at all even though the van was a handful to drive, didn't like going faster than 60, and heat was a concern on some of the passes.

Quote from: fishnjim on May 12, 2022, 10:32:54 AM
I'd rent a truck and trailer or save the airfare and get a car hauler.
This is what dreams are.

Different strokes, different folks.  My dream is to actually drive this car across America.  Remember that I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Even if it were free to ship the car to me, I would much rather drive it across the country and pay to do so.  I do cringe slightly at raising the mileage on such a classic icon but I'm mostly at peace with that.   8)

Quote from: dinhnguyen57 on May 12, 2022, 11:47:24 AM
I agree.  Sorting any old car out takes time and mileage.  I would not take it long distances without spending a lot of time driving it locally for awhile.  Imagine if it breaks down in who knows where. 

I agree with your agreement.  ;D  I've told my friend he can drive it a bunch to shake it down for me as desired.  He says besides the dieseling and possibly down a bit on power (likely timing) it drives well, is squeak free, doesn't overheat, etc.  He suggests having the brakes gone through/replaced based on what the seller said (seller also ordered new brake cylinder and linings, but is taking forever to arrive - hopefully arrives soon, will be mailed to my friend and I'll have my friend take it to a local mechanic to have that replaced).  I'm also thinking of a fresh oil change/filter, and a coolant change.  Transmission and engine was rebuilt 10 years ago but friend reports a bunch of visible dirt/oil down below - wonders if it just was not cleaned up when the motor was rebuilt.  Will ask friend to drive it some and see if oil levels drop at all.  Friend says tires are all good as well.  No dry rot, cracking, good tread, no uneven wear.  He didn't check product dates but I will likely have new tires put on in San Diego right before it gets shipped to Hawaii.

Any other advice or suggestions? 

Per Big Fin's suggestion I'll also join the CLC so I have the directory and possible support during the trip if needed.

-Paul
1959 Series 62 6-Window

dn010

Unless there is some sort of aftermarket performance item installed on the ignition side such as an MSD ignition box etc, once you turn the key "off" there is no longer any power going to the "ignition" / distributor of the engine, so timing won't help you with the run-on and you've got bigger problems. A simple google search of engine run-on or dieseling will give you some clues as to what might be the situation.

Looking at the car you have photo'd, I would not know anyone who would go that distance to make the car presentable and not clean up/paint the engine upon rebuild. If your friend has a borescope, I would be putting that down into a cylinder to see if it actually has been done or not. If you have oil leaks or gaskets that look old then I'd suspect no rebuild was actually done, especially if the transmission is dirty too. No one wants to remove and handle dirty drivetrain components during rebuild. I rebuilt mine 13 years ago, the car has sat outside for all of that time in the elements since, and I still have fresh looking gaskets, absolutely 0 oil drips and mostly clean engine paint. Photos and original receipts vin specific for the work help verify.

I'd be checking vacuum lines which are known to get brittle and break with age, check all hoses, and also perform a cooling system pressure test. I'd be checking all light bulbs, buying spare belts and getting the wipers up - nothing worse than driving without those in precipitation. You're on the right track to having the brakes re-done. You can get by just fine with the original brake configuration but upgrades are always better. I'd change fuel filters even if new, but for some reason I've historically been haunted by fuel filter/pump/tank problems with cars older than 1970 so I always change them.

I would also be hesitant to drive long distance on a new to me old vehicle, but you've set your mind to it and you'll do it, so plan as much as possible, bring a fire extinguisher and other "just in case" items, and have fun. Take a lot of photos along the way.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

35-709

Unless you know certain things have been done recently --- some obvious things below, but ---
-Inspect the wheel cylinders on every wheel.
-Replace rubber brake hoses.
-Seriously consider replacing/rebuilding that single pot brake master cylinder, if that fails, no brakes.
-Flush brake lines and fill with new fluid.
-Check steel brake lines carefully for serious rust which could lead to leaks.
-Replace any and all rubber fuel lines --- those at the gas tank seem to be the most neglected, the tank does not have to be dropped to replace those.
-Check all of your engine cooling hoses and heater hoses, have a mechanic do it if you or your friend are unsure what to look for.  If they are "squishy" or haven't been replaced in a long time, NOW is the time.
-Check all engine belts, replace if even slightly questionable.
-Consider carrying a spare generator, voltage regulator, fuel pump, and water pump.
-Consider pulling the radiator and having it rodded out or at least pressure checked and inspected for proper coolant flow.
-Flush the engine coolant, replenish with 50/50 water/coolant mix.  Even if are are not in an area with freezing weather, the anti-freeze lubricates the water pump and raises the coolant boiling temperature. 
-Check the radiator pressure cap, another important part of keeping the cooling system efficient and further raises the boiling point.  Any well equipped mechanic should have a pressure cap checking device.  Or carry a spare cap, they're cheap enough.
-Consider changing the thermostat, use a 180 degree 'stat!  Or at least bring a spare with you (and gasket).
-Have a transmission shop do a flush and refill.
-If those tires are radials and even close to 10 years old, replace them, BEFORE you start for San Diego!  No matter how nice they look, radials can and do deteriorate from the inside out.  One quick check is to spin the wheel with your hand on the tire, if you feel and lumps/bumps in the tire tread, and/or it appears to be out of round, it is no good.

Probably not a complete list, others may add more.  As to the trip I would certainly do it with a well prepared car.  My 472 powered 1935 Cadillac resto-mod makes the journey from south Florida to upstate New York nearly every summer and will be going again this year.  Best of luck, have fun, these cars are meant to be driven!  Its not the age as much as the mechanical condition.

To add --- repack the front wheel bearings, '59s still had the ball bearing type instead of the roller type.  They require more frequent packing and are sensitive to correct tightening when reassembling on the car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Lexi

Very good responses. Especially like Dan's advice to bring a fire extinguisher. That kind of drive with an unfamiliar vintage car would terrify me. I once drove my '56 Limo into the U.S. from Canada and for a while I was "white knuckling" it, and the car was a known quantity to me. One inexpensive broken down part of "unobtainium" can ruin a huge chunk of time and be quite costly. It may even put the car at some risk as well. Comments on tires, cooling system and wheel bearings were dead on. Take plenty of photos to share with us. Lots of '59 owners on this site so help is at your fingertips. Good luck. Clay/Lexi

Deaf Paul

Thanks all for the additional feedback, suggestions and thoughts!

I will certainly be taking pictures and videos of the trip and will post in this thread, or start a new thread once that happens.  Planning to land and lay eyes on the car June 27 so be sure to check back in then, or look for me to hopefully go sailing by gracefully if any of you are anywhere on the route (or want to meet up).

Most likely heading to Houston first to pick up a co-pilot, down to Galveston Texas to spend a day foil-surfing the oil tanker wakes there, then up to a friend in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico.  Then the Grand Canyon, then Moab, then Vegas then San Diego where my friend needs to catch his return flight.  If anybody has any suggestions on how the route could be better, let me know!

Then I'll spend a week or so in San Diego cleaning the car up getting any remaining, or new needs addressed/fixed/replaced before it gets shipped home to Hawaii.  It's much easier and cheaper to get parts and things serviced on the mainland compared to a small island in the middle of the ocean.

Will have more questions to ask in the next few days and weeks so please do keep an eye on this thread. :-)

-Paul
1959 Series 62 6-Window

Big Fins

And you can go to all of those places in your own '59 SDV. Oh the fun it would be.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Paul
Like others have said that 2000 mile across the summertime south is NO place to do a shakedown cruise. I'm over on Kauaii right now and I see that the highest octane fuel is 91. Have you taken that into consideration?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

It'll be 120 degrees across the desert between San Angelo and San Diego
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scott Nellis

Congratulations on your beautiful Cadillac Paul! I encourage you to follow through with your dream cruise. You have been given some great advice here and you will continue to receive more I am sure. Some may be skeptical, but the fact that you stated that you have both the time and the funds trumps everything. The worst case scenario is that you have a failure that can't be rectified in your time frame and you have the car shipped the rest of the way. The best case scenario is that you have some minor breakdowns, which you probably will, but you overcome them and fulfill your dream and have memories that you will cherish for the rest of your days.
   I live in Ontario, Canada which is central. About 15 years ago I bought my 1968 Cadillac Hearse out of New Brunswick, which is in eastern Canada. I flew down with some tools and the seller picked me up at the closest airport and took me to his place and I drove it home on a weekend. The hearse quit running about 1 hour into the long drive, but with a lot of luck, friendly people, and a little bit of know-how, I made it home eventually. I will never forget that journey.
   I would make sure that you bring lots of basic tools, a roll of mechanic's wire, fluids, and lots of spare fuel filters. I would use the clear plastic ones so you can see how much rust is accumulating in the filter. I would also put one in line before the fuel pump to save it from harm.  I would also recommend bringing a paper copy of the CLC Membership Directory so you have some possible contacts in hand, not just on a screen.
   I look forward to seeing pictures and following your journey on here.
   Take Care, Scott

1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

gross707

I live in Lafayette, LA and can recommend an excellent mechanic.  Jay Patin at Ross Tire (no affiliation) takes care of my varied collection which includes a '55 and a '75 Caddy.  He knows his old American iron. 
Aloha,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

Deaf Paul

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on May 12, 2022, 10:37:10 PM
I'm over on Kauaii right now and I see that the highest octane fuel is 91. Have you taken that into consideration?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  Once I'm in the western states, and ultimately Hawaii, I will be limited to 91 octane.  This is extra concerning for me due to my deafness and inability to hear any warning pinging, or even worse, knocking.

I am now looking into having a stand-alone knock sensor/visual alert system added to the car such as this: https://tunertools.com/products/link-g4-knock-light  Thoughts?  Is there a better or a different course of action I should consider?

Quote from: Scott Nellis on May 13, 2022, 01:32:53 AM
"...you stated that you have both the time and the funds...." The worst case scenario is that you have a failure that can't be rectified in your time frame and you have the car shipped the rest of the way. The best case scenario is that you have some minor breakdowns, which you probably will, but you overcome them and fulfill your dream and have memories that you will cherish for the rest of your days.

That's exactly my thinking.  Worst case scenario, the car catches fire and I'm unable to put it out quickly enough, and it's a total loss, insurance pays out and I go look for another one.  Everybody's '59 Caddys go up in value by 0.02% due to one less '59 existing.  Reasonable worst case scenario, it'll break down in a way that cannot be reasonably repaired in a reasonable time frame - in which case I will have it shipped the rest of the way to San Diego to be addressed before being sent to Hawaii.  Thanks for sharing your story and advice, Scott.

Quote from: gross707 on May 13, 2022, 06:57:43 AM
I live in Lafayette, LA and can recommend an excellent mechanic.  Jay Patin at Ross Tire (no affiliation) takes care of my varied collection which includes a '55 and a '75 Caddy.  He knows his old American iron. 
Aloha,
Gerald

Excellent!  I passed on this information to my friend holding the car in case his regular mechanics are not able to, or are not comfortable working on the '59.
1959 Series 62 6-Window

Deaf Paul

Is somebody here willing to help out with an unusual request?  It turns out the firewall VIN plate is missing.  I contacted CPR and they said the company that makes replicas of those recently relocated and are not up and running yet.  I am now looking into having a generic metal plate made instead (way cheaper too) to ensure no surprises or issues when I drop it off to be shipped, or once in Hawaii for the title transfer inspection (they will check for the VIN against the title and they might not like the plastic VIN tag on the door jamb, and they might not want to crawl under the car to check the VIN on the frame by the radiator support.

Can somebody send, PM, or post some pictures of their plate with measurements that I can pass on to the engraving company to use?

Much aloha,

Paul
1959 Series 62 6-Window

dn010

If I was in your situation, I would have your friend compare the stamped vin to the vin you were given. If they're different and you make a plate to match what is on the title, you'll just open yourself up to nothing but trouble down the line.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Paul
If this was my decision to make regarding the low octane fuel I would find and install a set of "export"'low compression cylinder heads. They will give you an 8.5:1 compression ratio.  Your hp will drop a bit but you will have no problems driving on the island. Probably cut the top speed to about 85.
Failing that a set of low compression pistons would be my next choice.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Big Fins

Too much work. Retard the timing by 2o if you have too and enjoy the car. Why complicate things? I run a 10.5:1, 472 on 90 octane with no issues and the timing advanced 3o.

Paul, I refer you to my original post quoting yours. Check the car over the best that you can and drive it. Sitting a car on the Interstate is the best thing for it. No stop and go, lots of air flow over the cooling system. I'd be willing to bet that you do is put in gas and maybe a quart of oil or two. Use a 20W-50 or a 15W-40 oil with a decent oil filter.

I drove my 59 to Savannah (1200 miles round trip) with broken rings in 4 cylinders, a cooling system that had 3 inches of sediment clogging the block and ran with the A/C on in a race around Old Town Savannah. These cars are like a VW Bug, they will get you home on 1 cylinder if they have too.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Deaf Paul

Quote from: dn010 on May 13, 2022, 03:24:33 PM
If I was in your situation, I would have your friend compare the stamped vin to the vin you were given. If they're different and you make a plate to match what is on the title, you'll just open yourself up to nothing but trouble down the line.

Stamped VIN does match the VIN on the title.  The purchase almost fell through at the last minute because this was difficult to find, but it was found and verified thankfully.  Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Greg, that's an interesting suggestion regarding heads/pistons but I feel that this might be a little too involved and I'm worried about eventual resale/collectibility (is that even a word)  taking a hit.  I was told the motor was rebuilt 10 years ago, give or take.  Can't help but wonder if maybe this was somehow already addressed.  I'll ask my friend to go through the receipts to see if he can find any information pertaining the rebuild.

Out of curiosity, how complicated and costly would it be to have low compression heads installed for the average mechanic do you suppose?

Big Fins, Good to hear!  Yeah, I've heard that these cars can actually take quite a licking.  I'm trying to get a large order going from SummitRacing.com for misc parts/things to replace or upgrade for this.  Wix oil filter good?  Or the one that Napa sells?

-Paul
1959 Series 62 6-Window