News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Deville Rear end change

Started by DanRobinson, May 14, 2022, 11:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanRobinson

Hey guys, great forum you have here!!
The rear end in my 1960 Deville is shot. Grinding noises, leaks fluid out the back side, just total junk. I've located a '58 and a '61 online. Will either or both of those interchange? I've been told '58 thru '62 will, but I don't know how to confirm that before driving 5 hours to pick one up.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are you talking about just replacing the Pumpkin?   Or the Whole unit, from axle flange to axle flange?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DanRobinson

Yeah, the whole unit from axle flange to axle flange.

Poncholover

No reason to replace the whole unit unless you are detailing out the new one or it is bent.
This will be a good time to evaluate wheel cylinders & axle bearings/seals, U joints.
Just replace the 3rd member. Make sure you use the same gear ratio unless you don't mind dealing with speedometer gears & transmission shift points.
Enjoy!
Flattie Caddy

DanRobinson

Thanks for the advice! Pretty sure it's not the original rear end because the speedometer says you're going 70 when you are really going 55.

This is going to sound crazy, but it leaks oil out the backside, opposite of where there's any bolts or seals. I didn't know it leaked fluid because when I got the car a month ago it must not have had any in it. It started making an awful noise back there. The passenger side axle is stuck, there's metal shavings in the gear lube and the housing is incapable of holding oil.
So does anybody know if a '58 or '61 assembly physically fits, regardless of the gear ratio?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I suggest you buy 2 books.
#1 A Cadillac Master parts list from the mid 60's.
#2 A Mid 60's Hollanders.
I think you're gonna find some differences in the housings for sure.
Good Luck.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Poncholover

Looks like '58-62 Axle Assy interchanges, non Commercial.
Flattie Caddy

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will have to use the original 1960 brakes as these are self-adjusting, as against the earlier ones.

Personally, I would be going for the '61 as that will have the self-adjusting feature, but your big problem is going to be in the suspension mounting points.   Unless you actually know, you might have to simply swap over all the internals from one to the other, so you retain the '60 housing.

As for your speedo difference to actual speed is pretty normal for pre-computer years.   These cars always read about 10% faster from the factory.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DanRobinson

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on May 15, 2022, 05:25:09 PM
I suggest you buy 2 books.
#1 A Cadillac Master parts list from the mid 60's.
#2 A Mid 60's Hollanders.
I think you're gonna find some differences in the housings for sure.
Good Luck.
Bob
Great idea. I'll try to find those 👍🏼