News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Deville 4 door convertible

Started by manuelesparza, May 15, 2022, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manuelesparza

Good Sunday afternoon to all! I am a new owner of a 1966 Deville 4 Door Convertible. There is much skepticism if General Motors acutally built a few number of these cars from my research that I did on Google.  Its been hard to find real data if they did or did not.  Can you one give me some insight?  I was told by the previous owner that belonged to the Lasalle club that it was 1 of 8 and I have also hear 1 of 15. I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to helping any way that I can in the Texas area and recieving help on any insight on the 4 door convertibles that where in production and how they cam about since they seem to be very rare.

Manuel Esparza in San Antonio Texas

Wbostoen

Hello Manuel,

I came across an ad from the Netherlands of a 4 door convertible, a 1965. The ad also shows a photograph of a page of Roy Schneiders 1960's book, and contains some info on these cars.

But I am unsure if this example is an original factory convertible. as far as I know the body number and vin point towards a regular 4 door sedan deville so it might have been converted by an aftermarket company. What does your body plate tell?

By the way, the Dutch ad claims to be one of only 3 remaining '65 cars.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/cadillac-deville-4-deurs-cabrio-drie-van-op-de-wereld-gasoline-white-1ac1a8cf-e034-d029-e053-0100007f6068?utm_source=ios-share&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=share

Final price: € 89,500.-
Mileage: 49,800 km
First registration: 02/1965

35-709

In all likelihood that is a Sedan deVille that has been converted to a convertible.  One thing to make sure of is that the frame has been reinforced, as all factory 2 door convertibles were, to make up for the lack of structural integrity that comes from not having a steel top.  Cadillac did make some convertible prototypes when they were considering competing with the Lincoln 4 door convertibles but dropped the idea.  There was a 4 door convertible at the Washington, DC CLC Grand National, as I remember, that originally belonged to the Rockefeller family.  Believe any Cadillac 4 door convertibles were done by aftermarket body conversion companies.  Cadillac did not build them for sale to the public after 1941.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

jagbuxx #12944

I have heard of the build of about 8 of the 1966 convertibles. A blue 1966 was here in SoCal for sale. It was a nice car. Photos were taken Nov 2016 at a Long Beach show
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: manuelesparza on May 15, 2022, 05:16:19 PM
Good Sunday afternoon to all! I am a new owner of a 1966 Deville 4 Door Convertible. There is much skepticism if General Motors acutally built a few number of these cars from my research that I did on Google.  Its been hard to find real data if they did or did not.  Can you one give me some insight?  I was told by the previous owner that belonged to the Lasalle club that it was 1 of 8 and I have also hear 1 of 15. I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to helping any way that I can in the Texas area and recieving help on any insight on the 4 door convertibles that where in production and how they cam about since they seem to be very rare.

Manuel Esparza in San Antonio Texas

Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

No, GM/Cadillac did not make any 1966 Deville 4 door convertibles.

Bob Bacon converted 9 between 1979-85.  I also have seen some over the years where someone took a sawzall and cut the top off. 

Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

dochawk

I *want* to say that there were a handful done in the mid 60s by a coachbuilder that got sold through Cadillac dealers and came with Cadillac warranties, but I couldn't give you a source.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)