News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Cadillac Eldorado.

Started by Lleidatá, May 23, 2022, 04:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lleidatá

Hello. I've a new toy. A 1974 Cadillac Eldorado!!!. They was manipulated a lot. I'll need help to make all the parts on the way. The engine looks great but the electrics parts are wrong.
Thanks for advance.

Lleidatá

What's this 3 small tubes and the cutted cables???

Big Fins

The first picture is of a vacuum control block that is regulated by engine temperature for the ignition timing.

The second picture is that of the windshield wiper motor. The unplugged connection could be for anything that is missing that is not in such a close up picture.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lleidatá

TJ Hopland

I would have to check the wire colors but I'm thinking that the harness on the wiper motor is for Cruise control. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

hornetball

I recommend you purchase a Service Manual.  They have good descriptions of these parts.

As for the thermostatic vacuum switch on the front of the driver's side head, those can cause vacuum leaks and aren't available new.  That's why they end up bypassed.  They are designed to change engine timing when the car is overheating.  Under normal conditions, they don't do anything -- so not much harm in bypassing.

TJ Hopland

Note that that vacuum sensor is in a coolant passage so you will get coolant out that hole if you remove it.   Also note that that is in the same passage as the coolant temp dash light sensor that is under the AC compressor so this is a great place to put a coolant gauge sensor if you decided to add one.  Its a great location because you don't have to remove the AC compressor to access it and you can leave the light sender in place as a backup to get your attention if something goes wrong.

If you are adding gauges for the oil you can just add a T fitting so you can also keep the original sender as well as a new gauge sender.   Unlike the coolant where it needs to be in the stream pressure is pressure so a T works fine.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lleidatá

God morning. Actually I have the manual for this year . I'll take a look.
Thanks a lot, it's a pleasure.

Seville Life

Hello - just looking through my Cadillac parts book. The black part screwed into the front of your engine block, Thermostatic Vacuum Switch (TVS) are needed to keep the timing right under load and will help keep the engine at the right temperature.

The Cadillac/GM part number is 3015636 and it fits 1971 to '74 all models.

There are not easy to find new, but you can find them if you search the internet. Yours looks like it has three ports, if you find one with a forth port you just block it with a cap - notes from the parts book. You need to check the vacuum diagrams in the Cadillac book to be sure you have the right switch.

Paul
Paul Bedford