News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1929 LaSalle

Started by Giff, February 06, 2023, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giff

I have a friend that want me to start his 29 v8,  but I am not familiar with this engine, what carb or or fuel system does it have?
Thanks

Giff

jp1gt

I have started a few, kind of hard to do on a forum page

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The carb is probably a Johnson...it's an updraft...the silver can on the firewall is the fuel pump....the pump is filled with gas drawn from the fuel tank with vacuum from the motor....

From here you can see the fuel line to the carb is disconnected from the pump....that is where the fuel gravity feeds down to the carb....reconnect that line....there is a small plug on top of the pump....use a small funnel and fill the pump can with gas....

If you have spark you might get it to try and start....

It's hard to see the carb underneath that intake so have a fire extinguisher at the ready....Wish I was there, this one looks fairly complete..

Good Luck !!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

badpoints

How long has it been since the engine was started? If it has been a long time, I would not try to start the engine. I am sure people here will know the proper procedure. Remove the spark plugs and spray oil into the cylinders.

James Landi

THere's any number of You TUbe videos featuring shadetree mechanics attempting to start slumbering engines. Some of these videos use tried and true methods, and worthy of your time to view them.  The best practices include NOT trying to engage the starter, fuel system or ignition until several important steps are accomplished.  As mentioned above, removing spark plugs and filling cylinders with rust busting products, such as Marvel Mystery Oil. Attempting to "hand crank" the engine after several days of soaking time for the Mystery oil to take effect.  Now, the moment of truth.  If the engine is stuck due to rust, forcing the engine to break free risks fatal damage to the block since the valves may be rusted into the block.  At this point, if you can't get the engine to budge under extreme force, then removing the cylinder heads to assess the degree of rust in the cylinder walls AND the degree to which  valve stems are rusted into the engine block is the next, necessary step. If you're successful at getting the engine to spin freely, and while the plugs are out... run a compression test. If compression is poor, keep feeding Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders which will have the effect of helping to free up rings.  If you're fortunate, adequate compression will be estacblished. At that point, providing fresh fuel from an alternate source, such as an outboard engine tank will ensure that rust is not pulled into the carburetor. Establishing a good reliable spark is essential as the next step.  As a final note, if this engine has not been running for decades, and the engine is stuck even with your best efforts to break it free, then removing the engine and taking it to a machine shop could well be the best course of action.  Hope this helps.   James

jp1gt

Giff has not come back to the thread.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: jp1gt on February 09, 2023, 09:48:52 AMGiff has not come back to the thread.

No problem....when he comes back he'll see his questions were answered thoroughly.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon