News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Having difficulty rebuilding my 47 front suspension.

Started by bobrich47, March 26, 2023, 04:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrich47

Hi Tim, thats interesting. Were you having issues with your front end, or is she just in need of some new parts?

If these cars could talk?
Bob Richards

bobrich47

I guess it doesn't matter much which direction it goes back together, as long as the parts are in the correct order.
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,
I'm still in town, having lunch, and I was just looking at the pictures you posted, and on the second one it looks like the shaft is installed from the front. The picture in the book also appears that the shaft goes in from the front.
 Were the grease fittings in the front before you started on this?
 The fitting is on the "head" of the shaft from what I see in both pictures.
 Are you trying to put the shaft through from the rear instead? 
 You are right, from what I can tell, it doesn't matter which way it goes in, as long as it's all there.
 Just curious, I'll still check my other car.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cadman-iac

I think what would matter more is which way you install that large nut, or bushing I think they are calling it.
 The  book shows that part going into the knuckle from the rear. Why that would make a difference is because of the thickness of the hex part of it. Installed the other way and it shifts the knuckle to the rear, adding a lot of caster to your suspension.

What do you think?
CLC# 32373

bobrich47

Rick, I see your phone # in the directory here. Would you mind if I call you?
Bob Richards

Cadman-iac

Bob,
 Yes, if you'd like to call that's fine.
 But I think the number listed is wrong now. If it's a 520-307 number, it's wrong.
 Email me if that's listed in here, and I'll send you the correct number.

Rick
CLC# 32373

toybox

I was having my upper arms/shocks rebuilt as one was in need of replacing because of structural damage and the other just leaked badly. When the rebuilder said my right shock wasn't repairable we got into a hot discussion as to which was the right and left as the left/drivers side was the one that flopped and rattled for years and he kept calling it the right. Then he showed me the part numbers and we came to agree my car was assembled backwards.   Tim

Cadman-iac

Hey Bob,

I was out back of the garage yesterday and took a look at both the 55 and the 56 parts cars, and they both had the pins installed from the front with the grease fittings in front.
 Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner about this, I just happened to remember to look when I saw the cars.

Rick
CLC# 32373