News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vacuum antena ??

Started by Smedly, February 29, 2016, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smedly

Well I have a question maybe someone here could help me with, Would my 46-62 series have a vacuum antenna? the car had no antenna when I bought it but there is a hose (maybe 5/16 dia. ) in that general area and I am not sure what it is for but it does go into the firewall. I never seam to think of it when I am upside down with my head under the dash to see where it goes.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Philippe M. Ruel

If the car has a factory radio, it should have an antenna. And it was vacuum operated in 1946.
1952 60 Special in France.

Smedly

Thanks, the car did have an antenna but it had been removed some time before I bought the car.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

gary griffin

Sheldon,

A vacuum hose in the general area of the firewall could be several things. An antenna would have 2 hoses one to raise the antenna and one to lower it and they would be accompanied by an antenna lead about the same size as the hoses. Other possibilities are vacuum windshield wipers, vacuum windshield washers and vacuum advance to the distributor.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Smedly

Thanks for the replies, My wipers work, the car does not have washers and does not seam to have any sign that there ever was washers on it. my distributer has a small steel line for the vac. advance . Since there only seams to be one hose coming out of the fire wall I guess it is time to do the awkward head stand and see what the other end is attached to ;)
Sheldon Hay

Bill Ingler #7799

Sheldon: As you know the wipers get their vacuum from the vacuum line that enters the firewall as shown in picture 1 below. Once inside the firewall the hose goes up to the wiper motor. Just prior to the wiper motor the vacuum line has a T with a second line going to the middle port of the 3 vacuum ports on the side of the radio. The other two ports are for the vacuum lines down to the radio antenna up and down ports. Picture 2 shows that these 2 antenna vacuum hoses come through the firewall just behind the washer pump assembly. This rubber antenna grommet also has a hole for the antenna wire. If the car had window washers then that vacuum line that operates the washer pump enters the firewall just above the washer pump. If the single vacuum hose you see on your car, which you think is from the original antenna, then that antenna vacuum hose should be coming through the firewall as indicated in picture 2. And remember as you are standing on your head under the dash, keep telling yourself how much fun it is to work on old cars.   Bill

Smedly

Thanks Bill, The hose definitely goes through the firewall like photo 2.. I always enjoy looking at pics of your cars. everything is always so clean ;D As for the head stand, I rewired everything under the dash this way so looking for a hose should not be all that bad :-\
Sheldon Hay

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Smedly

I would use a coat hanger before I would ever pay $2200. Or use an ipod or something, maybe even just sing to myself. :o
Sheldon Hay

Skwerly62

Quote from: Smedly on March 03, 2016, 04:15:04 PM
I would use a coat hanger before I would ever pay $2200. Or use an ipod or something, maybe even just sing to myself. :o

😂😂😂😂😂. Thanks for the chuckle.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!