News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

‘75 Eldorado Auto Level Control

Started by benji808, August 12, 2022, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Previous owner appears to have disconnected the ALC and added aftermarket air shocks. Me and my new mechanic friend are looking at trying to restore original function. All the original parts appear to be there.

A couple questions:
1) any general advice or things to watch out for?
2) is there a good source for rebuilt pumps, if we need one?

Thanks!

V63

I have a 'used' compressor from a 1975 Eldorado with 40k miles.
$120 plus ship from 85004.

We just fill the air shocks with the shrader valve as needed.

benji808

Quote from: V63 on August 12, 2022, 09:22:13 PMI have a 'used' compressor from a 1975 Eldorado with 40k miles.
$120 plus ship from 85004.

We just fill the air shocks with the shrader valve as needed.

Do you feel comfortable that it's in good working order? If so I'll probably take it. Even if we can get this one working it seems to be rare enough that having a spare is a good idea. Let me know and I can PM you address and agree on method of payment.

V63

The car still had the original OEM delco shocks on it...(actually I think I still have those too ... but they leaked) the compressor was no longer hooked up.

Let me see about hooking up and see if it will run?

Will advise.

Big Fins

The biggest issues with the pumps are the reservoirs. They would retain moisture that would eat a hole at the lowest point. The 'working' parts are isolated from the reservoir and generally are very clean inside.

You can get the holes in the reservoirs brazed at any local muffler shop. If you have to, get a roll of gasket paper and make your own gaskets. These pumps are very simple once you open them up.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can concur with the internal corrosion of the reservoirs.

Pictured is one that suffered rustation, rather badly, and the internals above the body were perfect.   This one came out of a '71 that was very rusty, and I got it for parts.

The other pictures are of the one in my '72, and I found that it wasn't working because of the broken plastic actuating arm.   The one in the '71 was good, but with cleaning the corrosion out of the inside of the reservoir and sealing it by painting, it still did not work, so I left it, and just used a Schrader valve to inflate the Shocks.

Now, I am trying to resurect the one in my '72 to get it operational, and even after totally stripping it down, cleaning, inspecting and putting it back together, I can get it to hold pressure, the pump to operate, as in "ticking" which is the diaphragm moving up and down, but, the thing just will not raise pressure.   (It held pressure prior to stripping it down)

Even after doing what the Shop Manual said to do, twice, it still doesn't pump up pressure.   Back to it today to try again.   This thing is frustrating.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   I see that the '75 reservoir is shorter than the '71 and '72.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hornetball

The rubber bits for the compressor are NLA.  The compressor was also used for vintage air horns.  Those pop up on E-bay from time-to-time and can be robbed for parts.

I managed to get mine actually ticking away under vacuum.  My tank was in good condition (AZ car).  Alas, still didn't produce enough pressure to function correctly.  So, I gave up and stored away the parts.  Maybe someday there will be a repair kit again . . . .

David King (kz78hy)

Here are some part numbers for those.  I have a couple of the longer ones and one short one.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I had to replace the unit in my '73 Eldorado (20 years ago)
when they were still available.  After 1973 they went to a
shorter unit, but it's a direct replacement with a minor
change to the bottom bracket.  I used the shorter unit as
it was the only thing available.

There are no rebuild kits from anyone any longer as far as I know.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region