News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New owner of a 64 here

Started by seok, October 04, 2016, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seok

;) thats my very rare "incase I have a heavy foot" safety device. Hehe.
To be honest i didnt want to take the car without giving it a little runaround so that was what i came up with on the fly.. it was an interesting test drive around the block using that rope. But it worked!  8)
Matt Dennison

80 Biarritz 455 Olds swap
64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
79 Eldorado Biarritz (sold )
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

dochawk

Quote from: seok on October 05, 2016, 02:50:39 PM
  First thing I need to do is get the sticky throttle free. Its not binding at the carb. It seems to be in the linkage somewhere down low in one of the joints but i cant seem to loosen it up. Push the throttle and it stays s
Down. Have to manually pull it back up. Any ideas what would cause that or what to look for? It has been sitting so i sprayed all the joints and worked it but wouldbt loosen it up any

There should be a "throttle return spring" or some such, which pulls the throttle back to idle, on the carburetor.

I encountered this after putting in a rebuilt.   

It doesn't seem to be too critical that you use the "correct" spring while you look for one; I bought a spring assortment at auto zone for a couple of bucks.

Naturally, I then found the original spring dangling from it's body mount later . . . but all was not lost; one of the springs went into Carl's '27 to enable the dashboard spark advance/retard knob (the linkage/gears for the steering wheel advance known is broken), which let it drop something like 5mph lower in 3d.

If someone with a similar caddy can't offer a picture, I'll take one on my '72, but isn't '64 just before the quadrajet?

Finally, you paid $2k for a pretty car, the year of your birth, that you likes, and your daughter wants to play with with you?  I see multiple reasons to spend that much there . . .

enjoy

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

seok

Thanks Hawk. The throttle return spring is there and tight. That was the first thing i looked for. Then I removed the trans kickdown bar and the throttle one at a time and determined the throttle is the sticky one. I'll investigate further
Matt Dennison

80 Biarritz 455 Olds swap
64 Deville seriez 62
91 brougham
79 Eldorado Biarritz (sold )
07 DTS
'68 Buick skylark

dadscad

Look under the car at the pedal leaver arm pivot where the rod from the relay lever on the firewall attaches. If that pivot is binding it would cause the throttle to stick or bind. From the factory there was a cover to keep it from getting road grime on it.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Chris McBride

Welcome!  I've owned a 64 cdv for a couple of decades.  I love your sedan and particularly its greenhouse which offers such a superb view in all directions.  Here are some quick and random thoughts about this year.

1.  The lower bumper guards are traps for leaves, mud, and moisture.  Consequently, they are prone to rot.  They are also rare parts and VERY pricey.  You may wish to check yours and remove any accumulated road debris.  Whatever their condition, you can than protect the internal surfaces with a paint/rust preventative of your choice to prevent further or future damage. 

2.  The timing chain cover is aluminum and prone to damage, often from electrolysis.  If you ever see one offered for sale, buy it.  They are also very rare.  You should take steps to protect the cooling system which, if neglected, may promote the deterioration of the cover.  See

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133539.msg286159#msg286159

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=100593.msg109052#msg109052

3.  The starter originally had a brace which helped it withstand the demands of cranking the high compression engine.  Few do now as many mechanics and prior owners over time simply discarded them.  If you don’t have one, you may wish to find or fabricate one since the flex plate, which has the teeth which the starter engages, is also becoming scarce and expensive.  The positive battery cable travels quite a distance to the starter and, over time, often frays and corrodes.  Many owners have resolved a variety of starting issues by replacing the cable, often with a heavier gauge of cable. 

4.  If you don’t have seat belts, the car still already has the receptacles for the bolts behind the front and back seats.  It is then easy to acquire the proper bolts and install the belts.

Mr. Edge, the 63-64 web page, and its group of owners, is a wonderful source of knowledge and parts.  He also, quite admirably, sells quality parts at very fair prices and does so even knowing he could command more if he were to go the eBay route.  I take every chance to publicly commend him for his efforts.  His efforts over the years makes owning and maintaining these model years an even more pleasant experience.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your car - it’s a beauty!