News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HOWDY!!!!!!!! - New Member - First Cadillac - First Restoration - Sound off ! !

Started by Rollochrome, September 25, 2009, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollochrome

Hello all.

After many months of shopping and research, I made the leap and bought a 1976 Eldorado convertable; red with white leather. It was in need of restoration. In fact, I almost sold it after realizing how much work it was going to need, but I decided to go ahead and get after it. In fact I did sell it, but the buyer had second thoughts after a day or two, and I told him I would buy it back at the same price so he wouldn't be in trouble on the home front. Anyway, I am putting more into it than I could probably ever get out of it, but you only live here in this planet once so I figured I would have a little fun and get it not perhaps award winning show-car perfect, but restored well enough to show and enjoy.

Honest John, the fellow that is doing most of the work for me, has been restoring vintage caddys for over 30 years and is sort of a local celebrity amongst the vintage caddy group. If you are ever in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, make it a point to visit his place. It's a ranch full of old caddys parked all ove the place, with several restored vehicles here and there as projects and drivers. Plus, he is a very nice fellow to visit with and was very patient with my pontifications about different directions for restoration. I am very confidant that what I will have here in the next few months will be something to really enjoy.

Anyway, I just sent in my application to the national club and will be applying to the local club asap. I met some of the guys in the local club at a car show last weekend and they seem to be a good group of joes. One of them had a mint condition '76 eldo just like mine and it got me excited about getting mine out of the operating room and on the road! I would like to use the Eldorado in any charity events and/or parades so my family and I can enjoy the car and help a good cause at the same time. It seems like the local club is like minded in that regard, so I look forward to joining.

Good to be here!!
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564
--1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertable, red on white leather
--1991 Cadillac Brougham, white on blue leather
--1991 Chevrolet Suburban Regency Custom Conversion 4wd, white w/ graphics on maroon leather
--1979 Corvette resto-mod
--1969 Kaiser Willis Deuce & 1/2
--a handfull of boring current production daily drivers destined to be tin cans

Carfreak

Wecome O.P.

Congratulations on the beautiful Eldo; you should have many miles of enjoyment from your investment. 

Last year when the stocks took a dive, many persons probably lost more than you are spending with devaluation of their portfolios & 401K. 
At least we still have our cars.   :)

CF
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Joe Manna

Welcome aboard!Hope you get much useful info from this great club we belong to.
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Chris Conklin

Welcome. It appears you bought pretty well, very nice Eldorado! Now, go out and buy lots and lots of books.  ;)
Chris Conklin

bcroe

It looks gorgeous.  Does it have fuel injection?  Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

Dennis DiNorcia CLC 19071

Good Luck with your purchase. I owned a 76 Convertible as well. Purchased it for $1,200 dollars and when I got it home and actually evaluated what needed to be done I almost fainted. What drew me to the car was that it had every concievable option except Fuel Injection. I'm someone who likes all the "Toys" a car can come with. It was rare Phonecian Ivory with matching interior. Talking about color matching. I had to have paint custom mixed to match the Ivory Gold interior.  I must say it was a very expensive restoration. About $25,000 later the car was restored and I was so thrilled to drive it and I got compliments everywhere I went as well as several trophies form local car shows. After losing my job a being stuck for money, I sold it for $10,000. I have a 1968 Plymouth Road Runner (In addition to two Caddies, a 2006 and 1989) but it does not get the attention that my Eldo got. There is nothing like a restored luxury boat to draw attention. I hope you get as much pleasure out of you car as I did with mine. Welcome to the club.

Rollochrome

Thank you all!

I believe that it is carburated.

I dumped a bunch of cake into an old Ford truck and an old Jeep CJ without any possibility of getting my money out of it a few years back, so I am using the hard lessons I learned with those jalopies to carefully spend on this one. At the end of the day, I'll have around $12k in this one, and the finished product will be a car that will fetch that much money roughly, so I am generally convinced that I am not going bigtime upside down.....or if I am.....not by much...

I am hunting for hubcaps now, which is a daunting task, as most owners of this variant cap are VERY proud of them. I am going to have the caps that came with the car, which are in the silver and I believe to be from a '75, painted firemist red at the same time the car is shot with paint. Then I will have a second set in the original black....and I might even go for a third set in white. Sounds funny I'm sure, but this vehicle is intended to be a local parade rider and a family fun car so why not be able to throw on different shoes as the urge hits me!?  ;)

I also think I am going to slap a set of whitewalls from Coker on it. Looks like P235x75 R15 is the right size. Now all I need to do is figure out what whitewall width is wide enough to look cool, but narrow enough so as not to look like a "hustler".

Looks like my options are American Classic in a 1.6" or 3 1/8", BFG in 2 7/8, or Coker Classic in 3 1/8.

3 1/8 looks way to fat for me and the 2 7/8 may be too...

Any suggestion for sources on hubcaps or widths of whitewall????
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564
--1991 Chevrolet Suburban Regency Custom Conversion 4wd, white w/ graphics on maroon leather

Rich S

Welcome! Your car looks like a great "foundation," especially the Firethorn and White Combination! As for tires, I put the "Broadway Shadow" white sidewall on my '71 Eldorado and they're made by Goodyear, and I've been very pleased with their performance/ride and looks. Here is a link to see them:

http://www.onlinetiredealer.com/specialty/brdwy.asp

Here is the link to a collector's phenomenal collection, and in his "past cars," there is a Firethorn Eldorado with White Roof and White painted hubcaps--although it has the Firethorn leather interior. Personally, I like the factory-correct Black wheel covers, or possibly using the Firethorn color (and I think it was a plastic, body-colored disc, that was inserted beneath the 'wreath & crest' parts):

http://www.mcsmk8.com/76-ELDO/76-ELDO.HTM

Of course, choose what YOU like! I agree with Dennis that these full-sized luxury cars draw lots of attention, and there is nothing else that compares to them--people will love your car when you're done! Good luck!

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Otto Skorzeny

I believe the 1.6" was standard and looks pretty good.  Personally I wouldn't put on larger than 1 3/4" or 2" on a 70s car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jaxops

Welcome!  This is a great forum.  Congratualtions on a beautiful car!  I enjoyed your comment about putting " a lot of cake into it."  That must mean money?  Sometimes I think that I live in the past...wait a minute, I am! :o
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Rollochrome

Quote from: Rich S on September 29, 2009, 03:19:11 PM
Welcome! Your car looks like a great "foundation," especially the Firethorn and White Combination! As for tires, I put the "Broadway Shadow" white sidewall on my '71 Eldorado and they're made by Goodyear, and I've been very pleased with their performance/ride and looks. Here is a link to see them:
http://www.onlinetiredealer.com/specialty/brdwy.asp
Here is the link to a collector's phenomenal collection, and in his "past cars," there is a Firethorn Eldorado with White Roof and White painted hubcaps--although it has the Firethorn leather interior. Personally, I like the factory-correct Black wheel covers, or possibly using the Firethorn color (and I think it was a plastic, body-colored disc, that was inserted beneath the 'wreath & crest' parts):
http://www.mcsmk8.com/76-ELDO/76-ELDO.HTM
Of course, choose what YOU like! I agree with Dennis that these full-sized luxury cars draw lots of attention, and there is nothing else that compares to them--people will love your car when you're done! Good luck!

Awesome websites there. The red 76 Eldo is owned by a guy that I think I met a few weeks ago at a car show. He has a low mileage blue 76 that he had at that show. I emailed him after you posted his info and hope to chat with him soon. That pic sold me on getting a white set of caps. I am scoring four off emay today.
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564

Rollochrome

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on September 29, 2009, 06:13:26 PM
I believe the 1.6" was standard and looks pretty good.  Personally I wouldn't put on larger than 1 3/4" or 2" on a 70s car.

Ahhh thank you. Yes. I'll go the 1.6" route. Anything wider and I think I'll look like Huggie Bear on Starsky and Hutch, then I would have to go buy a fur coat and wide brimmed zebra patterned hat with a plume.. ;D
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

O.P.
Congratulations on the purchase of a beautifull car!  I wish you many happy - and safe - miles!

Previous posts are correct:  1.6" WW was correct for your year.  For reference, these are 1.6" on my '75, to give you an idea of "the look".

Pat
Webmaster - Raritan River Region CLC   http://www.rrrclc.org
Webmaster - Valley Forge Region CLC   http://www.vfrclc.org

1975 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Rollochrome

Quote from: Pat Caruso CLC #17825 on September 30, 2009, 10:00:13 AM
O.P.
Congratulations on the purchase of a beautifull car!  I wish you many happy - and safe - miles!

Previous posts are correct:  1.6" WW was correct for your year.  For reference, these are 1.6" on my '75, to give you an idea of "the look".

Pat

Perfect.

Thank you!
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Looks like my options are American Classic in a 1.6" or 3 1/8", BFG in 2 7/8, or Coker Classic in 3 1/8.

3 1/8 looks way to fat for me and the 2 7/8 may be too...

Any suggestion for sources on hubcaps or widths of whitewall????
[/quote]
I just put the AC 1.6  whitewalls on my 70 CDV and was worried about them being tp pimped up..But I think they really make the car 'pop'
Jeff --CLC 24151

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Pat I LOVE your car....she's the same combination as my 70 CDV...the whitewalls, I agree, look great
Jeff --CLC 24151

Rollochrome

Here are a few pics of the work so far.

Rust abatement and metal replacement underway.

Carb off and being rebuilt.

Hood and trunk off.

Some trim off.
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564

Rollochrome

O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564