News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Cadillac hearses?

Started by Rich S, January 02, 2011, 01:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

I've read that Cadillac intends to leave the "hearse and stretch limousine" business to other manufacturers, and although this is not a Cadillac article, I thought it would be of interest to those members interested in the "professional cars:"

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/spy-shots-lincoln-mkt-hearse-looks-to-be-one-swanky-final-ride/

To me, the new hearse vehicle under development by Lincoln (based on their MKT platform) looks hideous! I've got to remember to specify in my Will that my last ride must be in a Cadillac vehicle!!!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Tim Groves (Cadillac Tim)

Don't want to be caught dead in one, huh?

Davidinhartford

Neither Cadillac or Lincoln makes or made a Hearse.   They are made by private coachbuilders.   They buy a DTS that is ordered with a special package that makes it suitable for conversion, ie: larger brakes and wheels, heavy duty everything.   The days of a commercial chassis are long gone.

What I think people are hearing is that when the DTS stops production, there will be a gap until the XTS is offered with a livery and commercial duty option.  Private coachbuilders have been making Hearses from just about every type of car from Chevys to Mercedes.   It is just easier when the manufacturer has a livery or coachbuilders package that gives them a beefier car to start with.

Cadillac has increased DTS production to keep a supply of DTSs available for coachbuilders and owners who want the current bodystyle.   Only a thousand or so hearses are made each year.  Plus funeral homes keep their cars for many years.  So it isn't like funeral homes will be forcred to buy that hideous lincoln MK whater it is.

I have no doubt that the XTS will eventually have a livery and coachbuilder option once again.

R Schroeder

I wonder what H. Leland road in when he went to the happy hunting grounds, since he built them both.
Maybe he went in a Chrysler.

okccadman

Here are 2 renderings of XTS Commercial Cars found on the web.  Looks a lot sleeker and more elegant than the Lincoln in my humble opinion.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Peter Weatherly

Davidinhartford

Well, considering he started the Lincoln company because he got into an arguement with GM about war production, I would think his sons would have had Dad taken to his final rest in a Lincoln at Woodmere Cemetary in Detroit.