News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2 part hood filler. Falling out

Started by 62 driver, August 11, 2022, 04:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62 driver

I have a 1962 and the hood has 2 parts with filler between the upper and lower hood parts. I don't know what kind of black caulk is between the 2 sheet metal parts. Ideas please. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

35-709

This is what I used between the 2 layers of my Bonneville trunk lid.  Found it on Amazon, Lowes and Home Depot claimed to have it --- they had everything but black.
How did you ever make out with your brake problem?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

When the reinforcement had to be separated from the hood for paintless dent removal repairs, the repairman used a hot glue gun to reattach it.

Something like this would probably be ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-8401509-Hot-Glue-Sticks/dp/B07K791YRP?th=1
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

V63

The 'exploding foam' can be used and is a great product but EXTREME caution on its use because (if not used sparingly) it absolutely can expand and puff out the exterior metal...ask me how I know!

fishnjim

I would suspect the factory used a type of seam sealer which is available in
types.   It's paintable which some of the other may not be.  Just to prevent oil canning and noise.

62 driver

Quote from: 62 driver on August 11, 2022, 04:48:48 PMI have a 1962 and the hood has 2 parts with filler between the upper and lower hood parts. I don't know what kind of black caulk is between the 2 sheet metal parts. Ideas please. Dave

Thanks to all for the advice!  About my brakes.  I should never changed them. However my son's 61 disk conversation worked excellent and I wanted the same. I have them now where I can lockup the front disk with lots of petal pressure.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Moody

Your best bet with the hood is to use 3M panel filler, or equivalent. It's designed to handle the heat and not distort the hood. Should be available at any auto paint supply place.
Moody