News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Left front wheel violently shaking during braking, 68 CdV

Started by Steve W, April 03, 2023, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

To know if they are dragging due to a hose issue you have to apply the brakes then quickly check to make sure they are free.   A hose failure can hold pressure at the wheel but can slowly bleed back so after minutes to hours it could release.   If its holding for minutes that rotor will heat up every time you use the brakes because of those few minutes that its dragging.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Be VERY careful with those impossible to find rotors. I would take them to a very experienced shop. 
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Dave Shepherd

Agreed, resurfacing rotors is almost a dead "art", a non "screw" fine finish  is required.

TJ Hopland

Is 68 supposed to have the single piston calipers?  I thought 67-68 were the 4 pistons?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Steve W

Well.., I THOUGHT I had posted this earlier, but I guess not. So, I wanted to see if I could get my rotors turned, so I'm taking off the wheel, taking off the caliper, took off the dust cap, pulled the cotter pin...and the castle nut was so loose, I could unscrew it with just my fingers! Pulled the cover, the outter bearing, and surprisingly it looks good. I'll inspect it more closely later. Pulled the rotor/hub assembly.,,the inner bearing is there and looking OK... sorta loose inside the hub, but won't come out and it tightens up when it's all put back together.   Get to OReilly's, they can not turn the rotors because they fall below spec... their computer chart shows they have to be at 30 minimum, and mine were measured at about 28.5.

So... I tell the guy how rare these are and he pulls them up on the computer. They have them in the warehouse and they'll be here in two days!!!! So I ordered the new hub/rotor assemblies, inner and outer bearings and seals, cotter pins, the works! He said the reason no one can find these is that they search for 68 rotors...and there are none. But when you search for rotor/hub assembly, they have them! And I DID find a couple on eBay... for a king's ransom. So... we'll see. Hard to type with fingers crossed!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 04, 2023, 07:08:45 PMIs 68 supposed to have the single piston calipers?  I thought 67-68 were the 4 pistons?

Single piston GM Delco Lorraine.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Gene Beaird

Making progress!!

Depending on how you 'catch it', the castle nut can be removable by hand.  You don't want them tight.  There has to be just a bit of play there, or you run the risk of burning up the bearings.  You can easily get them too loose, too, but better just a bit loose, than tight.  Good luck!
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Steve W

Quote from: Gene Beaird on April 07, 2023, 01:10:08 PMMaking progress!!

Depending on how you 'catch it', the castle nut can be removable by hand.  You don't want them tight.  There has to be just a bit of play there, or you run the risk of burning up the bearings.  You can easily get them too loose, too, but better just a bit loose, than tight.  Good luck!
Yep! I have the service manual and I was surprised at how little torque is required! The manual says to torque to 30, back off to zero, then torque back to 6, insert the cotter pin and done!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

TJ Hopland

With new bearings and races/rotors you do what to re check after a bit of driving and if the choices are slightly tight or slightly loose I usually go slightly tight. There usually seems to be some sort of break in or seating that happens and makes em get loose.  With used stuff you can go with the slightly loose and they seem to stay where you set it.   I also throw the wheel on for this check because you get a lot more leverage with the wheel then you do without it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Steve W

And with the brake caliper installed. With as little help from my "friends".
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

And TJ, as well as a couple of others, you were so right! Yes I DO have issues with the front end suspension components that I'll need to update, but the shaking was 100% the rotor! Had a great drive with the new rotors installed...no more shaking!!! And I will drive for a bit, let everything set in, and recheck the torque settings.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Steve W

I'm going to start a brief new thread about the rotor/hub assembly availability, to help out the next guy! I had heard for years that there were none available, except for the increasingly rare unit that would pop up on eBay for huge money! Not true!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866