News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The mother of all barn finds !!

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, April 16, 2023, 07:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Apparently this car collector has been at it for 40 years and really didn't tell anybody about his collection....

230 cars !!  Mostly European but I did see a couple of Cadillac's in the mix....

From what I read is that the owner serviced the collection himself and tried to keep them in decent running order....

https://classiccar-auctions.com/palmen

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Palmen+Barnfind+Collection

Goes to show even if you have the room you'll run out of that room at some point... 8)

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

That's one helluva a collection not to mention the owner tries to keep them all in running order and services himself.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

79 Eldorado

Other than the cars that's a pretty cool second floor construction.

billyoung

Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Wbostoen

I might go there and have a look, this is only an hour away from where I live. The last weekend of may there are 3 viewing days. 

I'll go specifically for the caddy's , don't know what to expect from a "Cadillac Eldorado Convertible MK8 1968"

Mike Baillargeon #15848

That's good news Willem....I'm glad we will have eyes in the building....

I saw that 1968 Eldorado MK8?

But I did see a 1955 Eldorado in the video....

Please keep us posted on what you see....I was wondering how he got those cars up on the second deck...forklift?...ramp?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

79 Eldorado

I didn't catch where the collection is. One thing I did see though was they say that the collection will be sold due to Mr Palmen's age... so good news I think he's still alive.
"Due to the age of Mr. Palmen and various circumstances the collection will now be sold."

It's hard to believe he would be selling though if everything was truly ok. If anyone has seen the show Hoarders people who have extensive collections are really reluctant to letting them go. Mr Palmen would need to be one special person to admit it's time to sell.

If his mind is still strong it might be worth seeing the cars just to hear some of the stories.

Wbostoen

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on April 17, 2023, 11:50:30 PMOne thing I did see though was they say that the collection will be sold due to Mr Palmen's age... so good news I think he's still alive.
"Due to the age of Mr. Palmen and various circumstances the collection will now be sold."

It's hard to believe he would be selling though if everything was truly ok.

The story I heard he is in an elderly home, and not in the ability to take care of the cars Any longer. The lot already has been sold to the auction house, the real auction will take place 19th of may till the 5th of June.

Wbostoen

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon #15848 on April 17, 2023, 05:41:46 PMBut I did see a 1955 Eldorado in the video

I saw that one too, I think it's the only visible cadillac in the video.

There are supposed to be three Eldorados, but I suspect the 68 to be a deville since it's a convertible:
-Cadillac Eldorado Convertible MK7 1955
-Cadillac Eldorado Convertible MK7 1966
-Cadillac Eldorado Convertible MK8 1968

Edit: I have seen the 1966 in one of the many news articles, it looks like a green deville (deville hood ornament)

Edit#2: I found a view of the side of the car, and it does seem to have the low eldorado trim on the side. Probably a true eldorado with a deville hood, it might have been in an accident as the front doesn't line up
(sorry for low quality image, it's a background screenshot of an internet video)

79 Eldorado

Was that green a factory color in 1966 or is it likely a later repaint?

Does anyone know where the auction is being held? I likely would not go but I was just curious.

Scott

Wbostoen

I did not forget, but unfortunately I have not been able to make it to the inspection days. I really wanted to have a look at the '55 and '66. I have no more details than  what can be seen on the pictures, I would have liked to see the underside and the data plaques. The listings will end very soon: 06/06 (1966) and 07/06 (1955 and 1968) at 18h00 GMT.

For those who are interested, see for yourselves:

1955 Eldorado:
https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/nl/lot-details/18270/Main%20category%20/Classics/cadillac-eldorado-convertible-mk2-1955

1966 Eldorado:
https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/nl/lot-details/18238/Main%20category%20/Classics/cadillac-eldorado-convertible-mk7-1966

1968 Eldorado:
https://www.classiccar-auctions.com/nl/lot-details/18275/Main%20category%20/Classics/cadillac-eldorado-convertible-mk8-1968

billyoung

After looking at all 3 cars they are in a pretty sad state and missing significant parts. The 55 Eldo has the wrong sun visors is missing the dual 4 bbl. carbs and intake manifold and batwing air cleaner setup. The 66 looks to be missing both door panels ( both Eldorado only ) wrong hood and possibly trunk lid wrong missing the Eldorado letters. missing fender skirts with Eldo trim. The 1968 looks pushed in in thr front and looks to have significant rust issues. All 3 have had wiring issues also.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: billyoung on June 04, 2023, 10:50:24 PMAfter looking at all 3 cars they are in a pretty sad state and missing significant parts. The 55 Eldo has the wrong sun visors is missing the dual 4 bbl. carbs and intake manifold and batwing air cleaner setup. The 66 looks to be missing both door panels ( both Eldorado only ) wrong hood and possibly trunk lid wrong missing the Eldorado letters. missing fender skirts with Eldo trim. The 1968 looks pushed in in thr front and looks to have significant rust issues. All 3 have had wiring issues also.

Thanks for the update Bill....It's always good to get eyes on....

It had to be a full day to walk around that warehouse...

Your from Florida, what brought you to the Netherlands or wherever that auction is?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

David King (kz78hy)

The 55 looks like it started life as an identical twin to my car.  Copper exterior and tan interior.  Steering wheel and dash pad look correct for that.  Seats and side trim have been changed along with a bunch of other items.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

billyoung

Mike, I am age 68 and have owned 40 old Cadillac's in my life and seen hundreds more in such close inspection that I can see in photos what many cannot seem to detect in seeing one in person. It is kind of how the FBI trains counterfitter detectives they train them so much on the details of the real thing that when they see a fake it becomes immediately apparent what is wrong.

billyoung

To further illustrate I pretty much know what I am talking about. The 1968 DeVille Convertible I am restoring if I had taken it to a reputable restoration shop they would have advised me that the car was a parts car and not worth saving but if I insisted, leave the car with them and write a check for $50,000.00 and we'll get back to you when we need more money. at $180.00 per/hr. shop rate I have done about $10,000.00 labor already. Reason being I know what to do myself and I have more ability and time than money and I want a nice looking '68 Convertible and this is the only way I can get it.