News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac door lock mechanism jammed-problem solved-THANKS!

Started by Scot Minesinger, January 14, 2012, 12:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Hi thanks for helping me.

The four sedan driver's door will not open.  I have the interior door panel removed on both driver and passenger so I can see how it works on passenger side.  The lock/unlock mechanism seems to work.  When the car is unlocked you cannot open the door from insode or out.  I have tried to figure out how to open the door by looking at the linkages.  Does anyone have an idea how to open the door.  I have a replacement mechanism to make a repair, just can't open the door to switch them out.

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Do you have electric door locks, and if so when you move (lock/unlock/lock) the switch does the door lock solenoid work?  You can hear it, and if you look down near the bottom of the door on the rear vertical surface of the door frame.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Ya does the lock seem to move?  Does it move the full range?  Thats the biggest issue I have seen with this era (especially on converts).  The power mechanism jams up and does not let the lock move so the door stays locked.

The other thing then is usually that a rod had either come disconnected or bent so that its not moving something far enough. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

The lock mechanism works, the door locks and unlocks.  It appears that mechanism that releases the curved piece that slides over the round door striker on the body is jammed, disconnect or otherwise malfunctioned behind the the sheet metal cover visible from inside the door.  If the door was open, I could replace the mechanism, but the door is closed.  Is there some release somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks, Scot

RobW

the mechanism works in two steps. First is the lock rod itself. that rod goes from behind the keyed cylinder to the lock mechanism. Then there is another from the actuator and another from the button.  All of them need to travel their full path to actually unlock the mechanism. It may look like they are and sound like they are, but something could be holding back a full unlock mode. Second thing is the outside door handle button and the inside door handle. These need to travel the full path also. If all this checks out, then the latch on the mechanism itself could be the problem. This is that little half moon thing that rotates over the striker and locks. It could be worn and binding. Make sure everything is in the unlock mode and pull the inside handle as far as you can without breaking it and while holding it there give the door a good push or kick from inside.
Rob Wirsing

bcroe

On my 79 Eldo, the handle hinge became corroded.  Then it wouldn't
go back to normal, and the lock mechanism couldn't be unlocked. 
Repairable from outside.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

You guys really helped me out - Thanks!  Held the door lever in open position and kicked the door open from inside.  The striker post was set too low and bound the whole mechanism.  The door hinge pins and bushings were changed by the body shop and they did not readjust the striker post, which I guess had been lowered by others some time ago.  Once the door was open it was a five minute fix to lube it up and adjust striker post.

RobW

Cool! Glad it worked.
Another temporary fix for sagging hinges is to place a shim on each of the three bolts from the lower hinge to the door. It'll line the door back up without moving the striker. Remember its only a temporary fix until you change or repair the hinges.
Rob Wirsing

Scot Minesinger

Rob,

Found a real easy way to replace door hinges.  I made a wood jig that holds the door in exact position.  First step is leave door panel on and attache jig adjust with washing machine leveling legs.  Remove door to hinge bolts after marking location with tape or however.  Slide door away 2" using slack in electrical wires - now the hinge to body bolts are accessible.  Replace hinge on body in same position using tape or other markings.  Slide door back and reattach.  This is a one hour job.  Worked great.

I did this on my two door convertible.  The problem I wrote about that you helped with is a four door.  I have pictures if interested.

Thanks,

Scot

RobW

I usually use a floor jack with a block of wood. Got any pics of the stand?
Rob Wirsing

Scot Minesinger

Here are pictures of the door stand, that holds the door in position perfectly so that one person can easily change the door hinges.  Hope I did this right, there should be three pictures.

Scot Minesinger

Scot Minesinger