News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'75 Eldorado VIR Eliminator

Started by benji808, April 28, 2022, 03:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benji808

Hello all!

I found an old topic from a few years ago on this, but opinions were mixed and I was curious if there was any new consensus on using an Old Air VIR eliminator with the A6 compressor. It seems a good deal simpler, and also cheaper/easier from a replacement or repair standpoint.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

hornetball

Use one on a '74 that is converted to 134A.  Been there for 2 years.  No issues.  Car is driven 1000-2000 miles per year.  Data point of 1.

35-709

The VIR eliminator will work, but ----
I used a POA Valve eliminator on my earlier production '73, it was not as satisfactory as with the POA valve but it did work. Then had two A6 clutch failures and finally gave up when the third time the A6 seized and broke both drive belts.  Replaced the A6 with a Pro6ten AC compressor from Old Air---   
https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/21-2201hp-compressor-pro6ten-high-pressure-single-groove

A direct replacement for the A6, much lighter, less HP required to run it, designed to cycle rather than run continuously like the A6, and works better with the POA (or VIR) eliminator.
Yes, the A6 was used in some cycling type applications but Greg Surfas warned in these forums many times that it wasn't designed to do so and would be troublesome.  In my case at least, he was spot on. 
You may well get along just fine with the A6 and VIR eliminator driving the car 1000-2000 miles per year as hornetball does, but my '73 was used much more than that.  Keep that Pro6ten in mind if the A6 craps out. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I have one on my 73 and got no complaints.   Basically everything under the hood was missing in my case so I replaced it all with new aftermarket stuff.  Sanden compressor and a cross flow condenser.    Other than not having original stuff to consider I didn't want to spend more money to get what apparently are mixed results on A6 compressors and VIR repairs especially when 134a is involved.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

benji808

Very helpful thoughts- thank you all!

Big Fins

I have the same set up on my 76 Eldorado as both Geoff and TJ. No issues and 45o vent temperatures in a convertible. It was done 7 years ago and performs as new.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

benji808

Am I correct to think that the direct replacement compressor with VIR eliminator will still hold about the same charge (3.0 - 3.3 of 134a)?

TJ Hopland

Once you start changing things the original specs don't mean much.  I would just try and find someone that knows refrigeration systems well charge it for you.  They should have the tools and experience to figure out the correct charge.  People that know this stuff can just look at their insturments and know if its in the ballpark.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

The "VIR Replacement" unfortunately does not have any of the flexibility of a good VIR. The Expansion valve and the POA of the VIR are eliminated and the only thing controlling the refrigerant flow is a fixed orifice metering device, that depends upon pressure differences for flow regulation.  As the seasons change that pressure difference can vary greatly.  What that means in simple language is, since most of these cars do not get a lot of cold weather road time, is that they should be charged under summer conditions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Yes, agree with Greg.  I have replaced several replacement "VIR" assemblies that were not effective on 74-76 Cadillacs with the original VIR.  Usually the reason the original VIR needs attention is leaks and clogs, rebuild kits are inexpensive.  If people ask me to work on their Cadillac ac, will not do it if the issue is a refrigeration problem and a replacement VIR (non-stock) is installed without letting me bring it back to the original VIR.

I was surprised to read how many posters are happy with the replacement VIR.  However if the ac is only operated during hot weather the fixed restriction may suffice for 1,000 miles of annual summer driving.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

One reason I suspect that I am happy with mine is that I also have a different compressor and condenser.  A lot of the mixed or poor reviews (not just Cadillac) only seemed to be changing the VIR.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV