News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 or 60 Instument Panel Nut Size

Started by 60eldo, May 04, 2022, 11:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im looking to reach up and tighten the small nut holding my gas guage on, its loose, and Im loosing ground. But I need to know the size of the socket as its very difficult getting my hand up there. So if any of you have a spare speedo siting in the garage can you please see what the socket size is for that nut  is,,,thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

Eldovert

Jon, The nut is 3/8s.. but there is a plastic cover that feels like a nut over the terminal.
Cheers,Pat MacPhail

60eldo

Thanks ,will the 3/8 socket fit over both? Any chance you could post a pic,  really appreciate it
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

Is that nut from the gas guage, looks like your holding a nut and a bolt in your hand. Im a little confused
Jon. Kluczynski

Eldovert

Jon, That plastic nut I am holding pops off fairly easily..at that point a 3/8 socket will fit on the steel nut.
Cheers,Pat

PS. Those are the terminals at the back of the gas gauge.

60eldo

OK,,,Im gonna try, but I dont think I can get my 2 fingers in there to pop off that cap,,,Thanks I will try
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

If you have a/c, get the duct hose out of the way, and you should be able to get up there unless you've got really big paws.  Good light helps a lot.  I was just in mine dealing with high beam indicator.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

Disconnect your battery while you are trying to get a socket up there. 
Use a 6 point socket.  Better fit.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)