News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Raybestos brake shoes

Started by Lexi, May 04, 2022, 04:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dn010

Quote from: Lexi on May 06, 2022, 11:39:07 AM
I imagine I can speak for Dan as well, but I am very interested in learning whether anyone has removed the front drum hub assembly, then re-attached via heavy duty nuts and bolts. Clay/Lexi

Well I have an answer for this. I removed the lug studs from the drum/hub assembly in order to separate the drums from the hubs. I had already purchased new studs. Comparing original to "new" studs, the "swedge" portion on the new studs is shorter, meaning it will grab the hub only, but not the drum. My drums now slide on and off like the rears do and I can now leave the hub on the car. I do not plan to add bolts since the studs will hold it all together. As an added bonus, I will now have the lug nuts turning all the same direction on each wheel.

I will post an update and photos of the progress on my thread at some point today/tomorrow, but I am moving along quite nicely. My 20-ton press makes changing these lug studs a breeze.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Lexi

That's fantastic. When you update please describe how you removed the original studs. Like, zip cut off near base, a bit of careful grinding, then shop press the remainder out, etc.  I assume you pressed in your new studs. Looking forward to your update. Clay/Lexi

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Lexi on May 06, 2022, 04:07:34 PM
Art thanks. Did you find the router "grabbing" during cutting or was it a fairly consistent cut? Clay/Lexi

There was no "grabbing" by the bit.  The friction material is really, really tough to cut with a router bit.  Not like flying thru wood.  The cutting goes fairly slowly.  It takes several passes and several minutes to complete the cutting on one shoe.

Grinding the slot would be better and easier.  I just can't think of a way to do it!

Art
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Lexi

Art thanks. Much appreciated. Yes grinding would be better, but like you I would have to think that one out. Clay/Lexi