News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Eldo Disc Brake Conversion

Started by swimbikerun, May 12, 2022, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swimbikerun

What do you guys think about doing one of these full disc conversions. They look like they come with all 4 discs as well as new master cylinder and Booster. I bought one that I want to drive a lot so I'm just trying to do some modernizing to keep it safer with all the idiots on the road.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

bcroe

Having owned a couple 70s cars with 4 wheel discs, I
much prefer the disc in front and drum in rear arrangement. 
Avoids the proportioning and emergency brake issues,
and of course must have a dual circuit master cylinder. 

Plan on replacing everything that touches brake fluid,
that happens on all my cars.  Bruce Roe

Cadillac Jack 82

My 4 drums on all of my classics (less my 66 Merc that had disc) have been more than sufficient to stop those vehicles even at high speed.  Just make sure the stock components are in good shape and you'll never have to worry about them.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

TJ Hopland

Usually the biggest catch with a vast majority of the conversion kits is you can't use the stock wheels which usually also means stock hubcaps because they way the attached to the wheels was different over the years.  Also beware of kits where they are using unique consumable parts that are only available from them.   That was why I have been a fan of Screbird.  They sell you brackets then tell you to get rotors off say a 83 pickup and calipers from a 91 mini van or what ever happens to work for that specific car.   You don't want to end up needing some pads and find out they went out of biz and you are screwed.

My opinion on if you need to or not depends on where you live and how much you are gonna drive.   I have been in cities were most days you could practically drive without working brakes and be fine.   Other cities you darn near have to change pads as often as you change oil. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Poncholover

Front disks are usually more than suitable for all but extreme situations, do your research. Scarebird ha a great reputation but the hurtle is always replacing the Treadlevac.
I passed on a pretty nice '57 Pontiac years ago, partly because of the very shoddy conversion.
Definitely do it right or you will devalue your car.
Flattie Caddy

swimbikerun

Thanks all, I may even look into a modern booster or newer I should say. If I'm in stop and go traffic it takes everything I've got to stand on the brakes. I'm taking it in tuesday for a full tune up.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

fishnjim

Originality or safety?   Take your pick.
Classic brakes is another option.  I've got this.   www.classicdiscbrakes.com

If the wheels are in good shape, you can keep your drums and be just fine but pre-self adjuster so adjustment needs to be kept up.   I suspect the shoes or drums need a adjust or are thin.   That's several tons of car to stop with "new" brakes designed when not many on the roads and it's competing with many lighter cars with faster better brakes.   Expect some thrills!
I don't trust those early power brakes, too many failures.   
I prefer to shop conversion out as the liability to me on DIY is stiff.   A really good mechanic can make a modern booster fit, but easier from the kits.     

swimbikerun

Quote from: fishnjim on May 13, 2022, 08:39:13 AM
Originality or safety?   Take your pick.
Classic brakes is another option.  I've got this.   www.classicdiscbrakes.com

If the wheels are in good shape, you can keep your drums and be just fine but pre-self adjuster so adjustment needs to be kept up.   I suspect the shoes or drums need a adjust or are thin.   That's several tons of car to stop with "new" brakes designed when not many on the roads and it's competing with many lighter cars with faster better brakes.   Expect some thrills!
I don't trust those early power brakes, too many failures.   
I prefer to shop conversion out as the liability to me on DIY is stiff.   A really good mechanic can make a modern booster fit, but easier from the kits.     
For me it's safety. I'll keep you posted on this. I want to drive this alot. Didn't buy it to just look at it. I'll keep the original parts if someone wants the original stuff. It's too much fun to drive to let it sit.
James Stewart
1955 Eldorado

TJ Hopland

Interesting that Classic Disc Brake Parts says the Cadillac kit lets you use stock wheels.  That's an improvement over what used to be available.  I didn't see any mention on their site about replacement parts.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason