News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

4.1 better in an Allante?

Started by franbev, April 18, 2008, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franbev

I've seen a number of early Allantes, circa 87-88, that have high miles and run fine. Was there something different about the 4.1 engines used in them? I've avoided buying them because of the dreaded 4.1.
Fran

76eldo

I was told by an 87 Allante owner that they 4100's in the Allante's were assembled by special technicians.  You would have to go to the Allante club message board to find out.

The 91's and 92's have the 4.5, the vent windows, the Recarro seats, and no Northstar complications, although the guys with the 93's think that that is the ultimate, and look down on the 87-92 crowd.

Truthfully, they all have certain inherent problems, but if you get a good one, decent miles, only 1 or 2 owners, it can be relatively trouble free.

I have a super nice 92, pearl white, with a hardtop, 105K miles, completely serviced, chromed stock wheels, brand new Goodyear eagles, really a nice car, that I may have to sell.

Hit my email link if interested in talking.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

The allante's were different than the rest of the 4100s but they were performance mods. I believe they used a different intake among other things.  The basic engine was the same so I would not expect overall 'experience' to be much different.  I happen to be one of the few that does not hate that motor.   The basic design was in production from 82-95 so it could not have been that bad, the later you got the more improvements there were and many of them could be applied to the early motors.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Different intake for sure.  The Deville series cars had the throttle body sitting in the center, the Allante's have long intake runners, with the throttle body offset to the side.

I have owned a bunch of 4100 powered cars over the years, back to when they were almost new.

The were a great idea, but executed poorly.  The failures are legendary, but these are the cars we love and collect, so we have learned the tips and tricks to keep them running.  Believe me, Cadillac never expected these things to be around this long, and you can bet that they were sweating it out till the end of the warranties.

Now I am seeing all kinds of head gasket failures on Northstars.  I see cars, nice ones, for sale for $1500.00  or as low as $1000.00 for nice Sevilles and Eldos from the mid 90's with blown head gaskets.

I still like them though, and have had good luck with the ones I have.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

hudsont

I actually prefer 87 to 92.  I thought the 93 year was a cheap send off?  I find the side vents and seats in the earlier Allante's more apealing. 
Trevor