News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1996 parking brake

Started by Matt 12861, July 27, 2008, 11:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

A few months ago I bought a 1996 Eldorado from a guy at work who was buying a smaller car.  It was a deal too good to pass up.  I haven't been driving it, but once a week I've been starting it and driving around the driveway.  This morning it wouldn't move, it seems like the parking brakes are stuck on.  It went a foot, but left skid marks in the driveway.  The pedal is up and the parking brake indicator is off. from reading the owners manual there is a hidden release under the dash, I tried this also.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The only thing else I've done is when I bought it I took the rear wheels off and to a tire place to have the rim sanded and the tires remounted- they both had slow leaks.

Thanks for any help.
Matt

TJ Hopland

Rear wheels are stuck?   I assume it has rear disc brakes?  And they are the type that does not have a drum for the parking brake?  Did you set the parking brake when you did the tires?  Parking brakes should either never be used or always be used.  On auto transmission cars they tend to never be used.  When you use one that has not been used the tend to get stuck.  The rear disc type without the parking drums tend to be even worse because of the fairly complex and exposed mechanism.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason