News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Found a 1940 LaSalle...how much is worth?

Started by Mochamutt, September 28, 2010, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mochamutt

I am trying to find out how much a 1940 LaSalle 4 door sedan might be worth. I found it in an old garage in town and from what I understand the owner is willing to sell it, but I need to know what ball park I should be in in terms of an offer.

The body is straight except for the trunk lid, which would be, in my opinion,  a pretty easy fix for a decent body man.  There is minimal surface rust, the car is straight and solid however it will need total restoration.  I do not know if it runs but I do know it has been sitting inside this garage since 1959.  The interior would need to be completely redone of course.  the brightwork is there and there is little, if any serious pitting on chrome.  All in all, on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being show room and 5 being a parts only car, I would grade this as a pretty solid 4.

any clue on what it might be worth?  any help would be appreciated.  I probably am not in a position to buy it but if someone else is interested it might be worthwhile for me to know the value so I can approach the owner and see what he/she is thinking.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Hughes
Carlsbad, NM
jameshughes@mywdo.com

Fred Zwicker #23106

According to my copy of the 2011 Collector Car Guide published by Krause Publications, the current value is listed as being between $1.720 (parts car) to $5,160 (per your description), provided it is complete, not running, and in need of chrome plating and new interior.  However, under today's market conditions and high cost of doing the needed total restoration, feel that even if the car was a gift, the cost of restoration will far exceed the value of the car after restoration.   A LaSalle 4-door sedans is really nice (I once owned a 1939 sedan), but resale value is usually about half (or less) the value of a convertible and restoration costs are about the same.  

Others will undoubtedly come up with other valuations, but this is what is currently published by Krause.  My personal feelings are that the prices in most value guides exceed actual values at this time, as the old car market is quite flat.  (Good time to buy - bad time to sell).  Attached is an old picture (after restoration) of my 1939 sedan which I bought in the late 60s for $150  (had a rebuilt engine and was running and seemed about the same description as the one you are looking at, other than no dented trunk).  It was a really fine car and I am often sorry that I sold it.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com