News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Waffling about the Color 1956 Fleetwood

Started by fiftysixcaddy, April 19, 2012, 11:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiftysixcaddy

Restoring 1956 fleetwood but I would appreciate input on changing the color. Its Alpine white which has a green hue added. I will have to repaint and can never match or afford the original Laquer so I was tinking Cobalt Blue Metallic because I like it. If im taking it down to metal to remediate the rust I think the blue.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Not sure what your question is.

You can't get original lacquer paint anyway these days.  If you want to match
the color that's on the car, that can easily be done by any competent paint
shop.  If it's a custom color (non factory), then you'll need a sample for a
spectro test.  If you have a sample then it's easy.  If not, then you have a problem.  For a factory color all you need is a paint chip for a match.

The color Colbalt Blue is really pretty nice, so if that's what you want then
go for it.  Either way, the cost would be about the same for the paint.
If originality is not an issue with you, then paint it any color you want --
it's you're car after all.

Go with a basecoat / clearcoat as almost everyone does for a repaint now.

HTH,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Davidinhartford

In my opinion,  a Fleetwood should be a formal or traditional colour.   Cobalt blue is very nice and I'm sure was popular on the Fleetwoods.

Of course the interior colour should always be taken into consideration.   

J. Gomez

Dan,

TCP Global has acrylic lacquer and others they could mix from their on-line Ditzler paint chip. The issue is you local paint shop may not be able to spray it do to local regulations, so you could be stuck in DIY.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1956-cadillac-pg01.jpg

As others had mention the exterior color is up to you, however you have to take in consideration you current interior and upholstery color combination may clash with other alternate exterior colors.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gary griffin

As others have said if your interior is good and you are not doing anything to it the colors should be compatable.  After saying that I can say I really like the Cobalt blue. I would not consider Lacquer though. The new "Base and clearcoat" combination will out last and be so much easier to maintain.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Walter Youshock

Next to Castille Maroon, I think Cobalt Blue would be one of my top choices as well.  Nothing makes an appearance like a 60S in a more formal color.

What is current interior in the car and do you plan to change that as well?

To achieve the texture of lacquer, you may have to do some wet sanding.  I had my '57 done in base/clear back in '96 and it had way too much orange peel.  It took some time to do and was a little scary but the results were well worth it! 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

fiftysixcaddy

Guys Thanks for the input. The interior is a light blue so it does go with the Cobalt. I saw this one somewhere and really liked it and the interior color is the same as mine.

Walter Youshock

Is it the full cloth or cloth/leather combo?  Either way, Cobalt is the way to go!  Even black would work, but one rarely sees a blue '56 60S.

It'll be a knockout when done!  Ms. Daisy would probably trade!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham