Mechanical water temp sender in a 1970 472/500 block question

Started by chrisntam, October 18, 2014, 12:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Quick question.  Will a mechanical water temp sender fit (depth wise) into the location where the ported vacuum switch was on a 472/500 block.  The sender looks like it will penetrate about an inch or two into the block. Is there enough clearance inside the block to put one there?  I don't know if it's a shallow or deep hole there.  I already have the stock location taken up with the factory sender.

thanks in advance for your knowledge!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

I don't have one apart right now but I think it will work, its still pretty deep there.  The 1/2 thread adapter you will need brings it out a bit too so that will help. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

From the face of the block, to the back of the hole, the clearance depth is 1 1/4" where the Ported Vacuum Switch goes.

That should be plenty of clearance for a Temperature Sender to go.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scot Minesinger

Meant to post this.  This is a 1-1/4" socket modified to remove or install these ported vacuum switches.  Probably Cadillac dealers used this type of set up.  Especially with the air pump this is essential, as otherwise you are into an extra hour of work removing and reinstalling devices to access the ported vacuum socket.  You can get it slowly on a 1970 or non-air pump Caddy without removing engine accessories.

Jeff Rose CLC #28373

I was actually wondering about this myself and was going to post the same question.  My ported switch is broken and needs to be replaced when I finish the engine.  I was thinking about just bypassing it all-together.  If I recall, that is only used to advance the timing when the engine starts to overheat, correct?  Is the ported switch used for anything else?  If not and we just get rid of it, how do I go about bypassing it?   I still need to get a good vacuum schematic. 
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think the switch is there to simply stop the Vacuum Advance from working until the engine coolant reaches a set temperature.

It is there for Pollution Control only, and nothing to do with performance or fuel economy.

I bypass this control and go to full manifold vacuum for Vacuum Advance.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   This action might not be authorised in your area
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

You would have to look and see for your specific year and model to see what that switch was supposed to be doing.  Some years I think it got involved with the EFE and or the EGR.  You don't what to start just unhooking things on an otherwise stock setup.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

The ported vacuum switch advances timing to speed up idle if coolant temp reaches 220'F in the 1970 Cadillac 472 RWD.  I do not use it.  My ported vacuum switch is just there to look correct with vacuum hoses going to no where.  My timing vacuum advance is piped to carb ported vacuum.  So yes the trans vacuum solenoid is also there just for show with vacuum hoses going to no where.  This is a device that when car is in 1st or 2nd gear as signaled by trans no vacuum advance goes to dist.  Then in 3rd gear or rev vacuum advance goes to dist.  If you floor gas pedal as notified by passing gear vacuum advance goes to dist.  If car starts to get hot as notified by ported vacuum carb intake vacuum goes to dist vacuum unit.  This is all a bunch of pollution non-sense that is of no value.

I think I sent you the comprehensive vacuum diagram published by Cadillac for 1970, if not remind me and will do it.

Thanks,

Scot