News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Another one bites the dust

Started by Caddy Wizard, April 25, 2015, 01:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

I've made very minor modifications to Cadillacs over the years (radial tires, dual circuit master cylinders, seat belts, dual point ignition plates, fatter sway bars, etc.).  On one of my 15 Cadillacs I even went so far as to add power steering, air conditioning, and electronic fuel injection (on a 49 no less!).  But I've always made sure that anything I have done to the car can be undone by the next owner simply by unbolting my part and putting back on the original item.  I've never cut a frame, modified a body, etc.  That's just me.  I know that there are plenty of folks who really enjoy modifying the bodies and whatnot and that is their right -- it is not for me to judge and say that they are doing something wrong.  And I have been witness to many wonderful modified cars.  I think of Fred G's rootbeer-and-gold colored 49 fastback -- what a lovely car, just spectacular!

But I just got back to my desk after looking at a 55 S62 convertible that has been near-about ruined.  It was originally Pacific Coral (my absolute favorite unusual 50's color) with a black leather interior.  Now it is a very cheap looking red with a red and white interior.  Worse than abandoning the Pacific Coral, however, is that they sub-framed the car with a late model Cad subframe and stuffed in (for a time) a 472 powertrain.  Now the owner is trying to put back a 331 powertrain, but it won't set down on the 472's frame (among other things, the subframe's sway bar is in the way of the harmonic dampener/lower pulley).  That is but a tip of the iceberg of the problems this car now faces.  It is hard to imagine how it will ever be brought back to its full glory. 

I can imagine that car, Pacific Coral with a black leather interior, and me behind the wheel on the streets of my town.   But this 55 convertible is likely to end up being used for parts for some other convertibles now.  Very sad.

Here is a picture of a 1955 Fleetwood (one of my favorite models) in Pacific Coral.  Whoever owns this car should contact me if they ever wish to sell it...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Alan Harris CLC#1513

There is no end of mayhem that can be created by somebody with little taste and a lot of money!

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The '55 Fleetwood you just sold was beautiful; you must really want a Pacific Coral car.

Hope you find your dream machine. Good luck.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddy Wizard

The one I just sold needed paint work and I don't want to do a paint job myself, nor pay someone else to do it. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I understand what you mean.  I am a purist whenever possible within reason.  However I don't have the funds to do anything different.  It does just hurt to see what was once perfect torn up.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Have you ever seen the Pacific Coral 55 60S (I think) over in the Dayton/Cinn area. The guy with the  '55 station wagons has it. It is perfect except for a dent in the LR door left unfixed as the car is so original.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville