News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Vent window switch

Started by Whit, May 01, 2017, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Looking for the dual switch Bakelite base (or whole switch assembly) for the power vent windows on my 1960 Eldorado. Have not had any luck finding the pair at most of the usual sources. Thanks   

Whit

P. Manoogian

Can you post a picture of what it looks like? I have several from 61 to 62 and can compare.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Whit

See attached photos. I have this switch but the contacts are messed up and it does not always work.
Thanks   Whit

59-in-pieces

Whit,
It may be the pics but was it over heated - fire - shorted.
Have you removed the switch from the bezzle to see the pivot and contacts.
It looks like a pretty standard a dual switch to be that hard to find or is it a switch to bezzle size shape problem.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Whit

STEVE:  The problem with this switch is that the Bakelite base has a missing end flange and the clips will not hold the contacts in when the flipper is moved. Short of replacing the Bakelite/contact base, I don't see any easy solution. I tried to epoxy the base in, but still have one contact that won't make up.

Whit

David King (kz78hy)

Fusicik sells the clips.  I don't see the missing area on the base and it looks like you need the 4 clips to keep it together.

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PWSC583

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Whit

David:

Thanks for the input...I do have the clips but because the Bakelite skirt on the base is broken off on one side, the clips won't hold. I have tried to epoxy it into place and I will test it today to see if I have the four contacts working. I tried it once but one contact would not make up. I have not found a suitable replacement to date.

Thanks
Whit

Daddio

Hi Whit,  I had to replace the driver side vent window motor on my 59 and found a very nice one at Arizona Vintage Parts.  Now mind you, this was quite a while ago and I'm not sure if the switches changed in 1960, but I figure ... if there's a motor, there's a switch.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz