News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 fuel tank fitting

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, September 05, 2017, 10:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I am trying to find the correct fuel line fitting at the tank. The original fitting was gone when we got the car. I am not good at telling different kinds of fittings. I have taken the tank to a couple of places but this one has them stumped too. What size is this fitting? Please see the picture below. It is the brass fitting in the picture.
Thanks
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

55 cadi

Hello,

I bought a new tank two years ago and I'm using a similar fitting.

Cant tell from pictures what is in there but I would get a couple at a hardware store and match up with your stock gas line that is there, then take off the fitting in tank, take both to hardware store and get one with the correct fitting. Meaning, get a fitting that has the correct end for you tank, and that also has the correct fitting for fuel line.

I went to ace, true value hardware, they have a lot of fittings

That's what I did for mine.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

chrisntam

The visible end of the fitting looks like a 3/8" or 5/16" flare fitting.

So the tank has no fitting?  Is the tank fitting area flared?  Or could it take a pipe thread type fitting.  Can you take a picture of the tank where the fitting goes?

Which end of the fitting has you stumped?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes. That is what has me stumped. Sorry but I am not able to get a good picture of the tank end. However it appears the tank has a female end similar to the end on the line. It is clear there needs to be something between the 2 ends but there was nothing on the tank when I got the car. In the picture I posted above (from OPG) there is a fitting-- I just can't find it.
I would think it would be a simple matter of finding the correct fitting at a hardware store. However I have been to several and have not found a match. So, that's why I am here.

Jeff
I took it to the local autoparts store... the real kind with guys who have worked there for years. The guy thought it would be simple too until I showed him the tank. He says he will find something out for me but it may be multiple fittings but that's ok. The original had about 4 pounds of JB Weld on it to keep it from leaking- I don't want that.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Bob Kielar

Here are some pictures of my gas tank fittings. If your tank is set up like the original you need that bushing in the second picture it looks like a ferrule but it's longer and the taper is different. If it's a new tank which it looks like you don't need the bushing. What you need is the other fitting I have in the pictures. You need the taper to fit into the tanks fitting and the female side of the fitting to match your gas line. I might have gotten this fitting from Ace Hardware or you could look ar McMaster Carr on line.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ah ha!!
That is what I am looking for. The tank is original. The picture I posted is from OPG's website and was just for illustration only.
I was hoping to find it locally but did not know what it looked like. May need to be a salvage yard item... shoot.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

walt chomosh #23510

Jeff,
  A fellow CLC member had a stock of these "ferrules" and I bought one.....I'll check for the source later tonight .....walt...tulsa,ok

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Thanks Walt.
Yes, I would like to have one.
I have a carquest near where I work and the guys there are great. I brought the tank to them and they found a fitting that looks like it will work. It is an Edelman #148540. Not totally correct but at least it gets me out of the tank.
This one had a few people stumped.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

55 ledsled

These are what you need to get the job done but you will have to determine what size fuel line you are running. It would be nice if someone made the nipple end that goes into the tank with just a compression fitting on the end eliminating having to have both of these...

https://www.mybumpertobumperstore.com/edelmann/sae-45-degree-flared-fitting-edb-148540

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/69486