News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 Coupe DeVille - Michigan

Started by SchmalzTech, July 18, 2019, 07:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SchmalzTech

Located near Muskegon, MI. I have for sale a 1974 Coupe DeVille inherited from my grandfather. I thought I would drive it more, but it's been mostly sitting taking up space in my barn and I would rather have a fast and lightweight toy or invest in something my family can all enjoy. I want this car to have a good home. It spent much of its life in Tennessee stored indoors and used for Sunday drives, but was originally here in Michigan until some time in the early 1980s, so it's not entirely rust free, but is in pretty good condition for its age. Known rust spots are front fenders underneath the chrome trim behind the front wheel, and the front edge of the hood above the headlights. Red leather interior, and I think the paint color name from the factory is Andes Copper. Original vinyl top is in really good condition. Engine runs well and transmission shifts just fine. I have a couple of old Michigan license plates and tags I was going to put on it, but I never re-registered the antique plates to use the originals. They will go with the car. I'm not exactly sure about the going price for such a car, so make a reasonable offer! My contact info is in the first picture to avoid robots crawling the web for spam and robocalls. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

-Mike Schmalz

James Landi

Mike,

Thank you for posting.  Your message will likely be moved to the non-commercial "for sale" section of this web site.  You've landed your grandfather's car in a good place.  These are enthusiasts, and so,
for MOST of the membership, they get their hands dirty, put in a bunch of sweat equity, and improve cars like yours that would garner little or no interest anywhere else, and likely be junked once someone ran it until it died.  Interior shots are absolutely essential, especially the usual wear places, like the front seats, (driver's) also, what is the mileage, does the climate control work--do you get airconditioning, heat and defog, do the windows power seats and trunk pull down operate?  These are expensive items to fix, so wanting to get the car to a good home with a CLC Member will require an honest assessment of what works and what doesn't, what leaks (seals) under the car, etc.  Then the price will need to be adjusted to reflect many thousands of dollars in deferred maintenance work plus fixing those items that don't work.  I hope this helps you to understand the culture of the membership.  James Landi

D.Smith

I resized them to be able to see them.

SchmalzTech

Whoops, my bad, I thought I posted it in the correct place. I just snapped some more pictures and will get them uploaded and can shrink down what i have while I am doing that. More about the car:

A few years ago, car was driven 600+ miles from Tennessee to Michigan without any issues. Currently 91326 miles on it. Power windows, seats, and the trunk closer work (that thing is cool,) pretty sure the power locks do as well. Trunk button in glove box pops it open no problem. I have two or three sets of keys for it, and I believe the lock cylinders are all fine. I think one of the non-oem keys I have is a bad grind and doesn't unlock the car very well, but the originals are fine. (I never tried locking the glove box, but the latch works as expected with no troubles.) The leather is mostly perfect, and in great condition for its age, though there are a few scuff marks on the driver's seat as you can see in the pictures. I have the original owners manual for the car. I believe at one point the plastic parts of the tail fins and bumper/tail light trim were replaced, but I don't know how to tell other than the fact that they aren't rotten. Chrome is not pitted and in great shape. There are no known chips in the glass, AM/FM Radio works, Power antenna needs some lubrication, but still goes up and down with some sticky spots, but otherwise seems to be mechanically sound. Doors are good on their hinges, and not sagging from what I can tell.

The Bad: HVAC needs some help. I think I was able to get heat out of it, but no A/C. For some reason, I think the blend door may be sticking too. I'm not great with that stuff, and completely unfamiliar with the VIR air conditioning system, (I think that's what is in here,) so I didn't touch it other than to figure out that the AC clutch does not engage when A/C is selected. Blower motor does work and the vacuum operated selector feels and sounds fine.  My nose tells me it may also need a heater core, as I smelled a whiff of coolant recently and there was a tiny bit of fog on the windshield near the heater core location.

Very small oil drip when parked after it gets hot, not sure where it's coming from exactly.

Tires have good tread, but I think the rubber is starting to get hard. Not sure how long they have been on the car.

SchmalzTech

By the way, if no one wants it, I am looking for some rust-free fenders for a 74!  8)

BJM

Well I am a big fan of the 74's, thank you for posting. 

For the intelligentsia on this forum - how difficult or easy is it to get to that heater core and replace it, and are heater cores generally available or unobtanium? 

#2.  The 1st thing about this car I noticed are the colors.  I love that exterior color, but red against it is odd. Unique.  Does this strike anybody else as interesting that Cadillac would allow an essentially 'orange' or Burnt Sienna color to be matched with bright red leather?   

Did your grandfather keep any records for the car, of previous important maintenance or repairs? 

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: BJM on July 18, 2019, 01:20:46 PM

For the intelligentsia on this forum - how difficult or easy is it to get to that heater core and replace it, and are heater cores generally available or unobtanium? 

#2.  The 1st thing about this car I noticed are the colors.  I love that exterior color, but red against it is odd. Unique.  Does this strike anybody else as interesting that Cadillac would allow an essentially 'orange' or Burnt Sienna color to be matched with bright red leather?   

Did your grandfather keep any records for the car, of previous important maintenance or repairs?
The car looks to be Andes Copper with a Terra Cotta interior, not scarlet red....
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

V63

I agree the colors appear to be,  Andes copper with terra cotta leather. I think it’s as different as it’s beautiful. The ‘red’ leather offered in 1974 was a vibrant lipstick 💄 red.

D.Smith

Quote from: V63 on July 19, 2019, 03:52:43 AM
Those are the factory pin stripes too. 

No they are not.  They are done similar to the ones used on the d'Elegance deVilles (minus the front of the hood)
but factory stripes were only available on the Eldorados and d'Elegance optioned deVilles.

This car is not a d'Elegance.  So those stripes were added by the dealer or later.

V63

I partially agree, i did not notice hood was striped incorrect.

While It does read the accent stripe was part of the d’elegance package,  it does not say its exclusive to it?

I have had  74 Devilles with a stripe and were not a delegance. The original stripe was tape.

MaR

Quote from: BJM on July 18, 2019, 01:20:46 PM

Heater cores are readily available as they are common among many other GM vehicles and were used until the late '90s. Replacing it requires many things to be removed. Here is a write-up from someone on this forum that I can't quote remember:

https://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/74cadillacheatercorereplacement.php

D.Smith

Quote from: V63 on July 19, 2019, 10:47:56 AM
I partially agree, i did not notice hood was striped incorrect.

While It does read the accent stripe was part of the d’elegance package,  it does not say its exclusive to it?

I have had  74 Devilles with a stripe and were not a delegance. The original stripe was tape.

I'm sure dealers were putting on stripes to boost the price.

But the 74 sales literature, data book and price guides all show the stripes only listed for the Eldorados and deVille d'Elegance only.   
They aren't even listed as an option in the materials.

D.Smith

Quote from: V63 on July 19, 2019, 10:47:56 AM

The original stripe was tape.

No they were painted on.  They even sent a special service booklet to the dealers showing them how to repair/replace the striping on cars damaged.

Decal stripes are a sign the dealer put them on.

V63

That explains it! Thank you David!

D.Smith

Quote from: V63 on July 20, 2019, 02:37:42 PM
That explains it! Thank you David!

No problem Bill.    I miss your Cranberry 74 Fleetwood.   Where did it end up?

BJM