News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1929 Gas Tank Removal help

Started by grwell, November 30, 2021, 12:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grwell

Looking for suggested process to remove/shift tank to remove sender unit

Chris Cummings

Is there an inspection plate at the rear of the body floor?

grwell

Chris, Thank you for the suggestion, however the tank is rearward of the body essentially under the truck without an access plate on the body that I can see. 

Chris Cummings

It would be tucked under the bottom edge of the seat back cushion like in this photo.

Chris Cummings

What body style is your car?  Unless it's a seven-passenger sedan, you'd have to take the seat back cushion out to be able to work on the sending unit through the inspection port (if your car has an inspection port).

grwell

Dual cowl sport phaeton.  Tank is reward of the body.

Chris Cummings

I see.  Is your car like this one?

If so, do you know whether there is an inspection plate under the built-in trunk?  I'm just looking for a way to save you dropping the tank. 

I would expect an inspection plate on all of the cars from these years, so that the sending unit wires could be connected or disconnected  with the tank in place.  Otherwise, you'd need a long, loose length of wiring harness to allow for connecting the sending unit with the tank on the floor.

On my 1930, to remove the (empty) tank, the first step is to go through that inspection opening and disconnect the fuel gauge sending unit wiring.  Then remove a vent tube between the tank and the upper part of the filler pipe, disconnect the fuel lines at the tank (mine has two), disconnect the tailpipes at the muffler, undo the clamps holding them, and remove the tailpipes (mine is dual exhaust).  Place a jack or dolly underneath the tank.  Then there are three bolts (two in front and onw in back) that fasten the tank to frame cross members.  Undo those and the tank can be lowered and removed.

Hope that helps.