News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 paint colors

Started by Steve G, January 18, 2022, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve G

We had a 1956 sedan deville that was white and pink on the body with a black top.  Am I remembering correctly and was that a option from the factory.   

J. Gomez

Quote from: Steve G on January 18, 2022, 03:40:18 PM
We had a 1956 sedan deville that was white and pink on the body with a black top.  Am I remembering correctly and was that a option from the factory.

There is/was a color option 46 "Mountain Laurel" which can be view as close to "pink" with only three options for the top (see attach color selection), unless it was a SO for other color top choices.   ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Steve G

Thanks for your  answer and the paint chart.  I have never been able to find a photo of a 56 painted like yours with 3 colors on it, so looking at the chart it could have come from the factory with 3 colors.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I seem to remember the upper doors would be painted to match the roof color on two toned cars. I never remember seeing the upper doors painted in an alternate (third) color. That section could always have been painted black at a later date of course.

Where on the body was the color break between pink and black? What are the paint codes on the body tag?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

fishnjim

Without the build sheet, can't be sure.   If you have the VIN then you can buy a copy.   
I'm not sure if '56 is one of the years the files are missing but can check with GM heritage center archive, if available.
There were several makes with three tone paint schemes in the mid-50s, so anything is possible for a fee during this period.  Dealers sometimes had special paint scheme promotions.   Elvis had a special pink Cadillac build for mom, etc.   
Money talked then.   Now marketing speaks louder.   Don't always get what you want, now.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If there are three paint codes listed on the body tag, the build sheet wouldn't be necessary to confirm. Body tag should be checked first.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

dplotkin

Quote from: J. Gomez on January 18, 2022, 06:10:01 PM
There is/was a color option 46 "Mountain Laurel" which can be view as close to "pink" with only three options for the top (see attach color selection), unless it was a SO for other color top choices.   ???

There was also Dawn Grey, and on this example under Starlight Silver.

Danny Plotkin
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

J. Gomez

Quote from: dplotkin on January 19, 2022, 05:51:40 PM
There was also Dawn Grey, and on this example under Starlight Silver.

Danny Plotkin

Danny,

True-true the DuPont paint chip do shows both have the same base tints of white-red-black under each of these colors. The copy I have has a handwritten note as "Elvis Cadillac color?" next to the "Mountain Laurel" so ???  :-\ as to which one has more pink  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082