News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Help identify these vintage rims!!!!!!!!!

Started by Loyaltydied, March 04, 2022, 01:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loyaltydied

I have these rims one set new and one set used. Bought at a storage auction. I know there Kelsey Hayes that's about it. Thanks in advance

e.kempton

From your pictures I think they are a set of wheels for a 1979 Cadillac Eldorado and the others in the background are for an early 80's Eldorado.   As per the Hollander Wheel catalog the 1979 wheels are    SZ  code wheels  as per your two pictures at 3 o'clock on the back of the wheels. 

TJ Hopland

I too was going to say 79-85 E body.   Not sure if those were a factory option or a dealer installed thing.    Eldo and Riviera the aluminum wheels seemed to be pretty popular.   Not so much on the Seville and Toronados.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

You'd have to have a KH dealer catalog to tell for sure. 
The 1614241 is turbine series, I think, as other forms come up under that #.  Made in various styles for different vehicles.   
The 0585 is probably the manufacture date, May '85, since they're Mex. made. 
The H101045 doesn't come up.
The 81 -157.5 is the metric offset(3") and width(7"), I think. 
The only comparables sold have been erased/deleted.   
I'm not sure if anyone knocked these off or not.   
I don't think they have much value, since a limited market for used and obsolete custom wheels.   Someone would have to be looking for a set or like the looks for their car.

79 Eldorado

They certainly look like my 79 Eldorado factory original Biarritz only rims.

I wanted to get an extra set at some point because the prior owner gifted a couple with curb rash. Where are you located and are you planning to sell them?

Scott

TJ Hopland

If that 157.5 bolt circle is correct that isn't the E body.   That comes out to 6 13/64".     The 79-85 E's I think are 4 3/4 which would be 120.6 mm. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

79 Eldorado

TJ,
The problem with that being the bolt circle is it seems like it would be larger than almost any light duty vehicle. I suspect the 81 x 157.5 may have something to do with offset and rim width. That would seem to make more sense from a cast-in perspective because they could have anticipated using more than one bolt pattern on the same cast wheel (machined after casting).

I'm fairly certain those are the E-Body rims. Certain enough that I would buy them and take a chance.

Scott

JGilligan75

Those are 1982 and 83-85 (on the ground) aluminum touring wheels-standard on touring coupes,optional on base eldorado and Biarritz models. 1979-81 used a similar wheel with a center cover (79 had a one -year only center cap) opposed to 82-up exposed lugnuts and small center cap. casting was slightly different for the revised wheel and this was done so the new cap wasn't sunken-in looking. The lip was also revised from a flat design to a beveled surface which I think could accept outside wheel weights, not that you would want that though. My low mile 1979 Biarritz wears its original wheels, which were recently removed for new diamond back 1 1/4 wide whites to be installed. Low and behold, a leak was discovered and it was a microscopic crack which was repaired by an expert. Look at the pictures of inside of my wheel which bears the same size but different part number. Who knew GM was producing parts in Mexico even back then? On cadillacs nonetheless! Unreal!

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.....