News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Coupe DeVille Fuel Filter Fittings

Started by Gabe Davis, September 11, 2022, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabe Davis

Hi all,

I am restoring the fuel system of my '59 to its original state. I have the correct fuel filter and reproduction line to go between the filter housing and carb but am missing one last fitting.

It is the 90 degree fitting that comes out of the filter housing and allows the metal fuel line to attach.

The metal line is a 5/16 flare fitting and from what I can tell the filter housing is a straight thread 1/2-20. Does that sound correct? I spent the afternoon visiting a Home Depot and two different NAPA stores, both with helpful managers that let me dig through the Weatherhead fittings cabinets but was not able to find the correct fitting.

Does anyone know the correct specifications for this part and where I can find one? I started down the path of Grainger and Fastenal but the terms used to describe the parts are hard to search when I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

The attached photo (not my car) has the part I need circled.
fitting.jpg

Any help is appreciated!
1959 Coupe DeVille
Rosewood with Dover White Top

Gabe Davis

Perhaps this one? Maybe? The type of thread into the filter housing is what I am concerned about. I don't think it is setup as a standard NPT type that is tapered shaped. It seems to be a straight thread but that elbow is MNTP (male national pipe thread).

https://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-Male-Elbow-6JLH1
1959 Coupe DeVille

Clewisiii

I thought people were finding them as dorman fittings.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

fishnjim

Common issue w/ SAE inverted flare fittings.
straight thread on flare fittings.
Tapered thread on pipe fittings. 
Adapters change from one to the other.
Check with a thread gauge or a spare tube nut(s).   
Be careful because a straight will start in a taper but won't bottom out and can strip threads, if you keep tightening.

http://fittingsandadapters.com/brassae45fla.html  (scroll down)

Gabe Davis

I found it!

The NAPA guy suggested I try a hydraulic shop down the street. They were happy to help but did not have the fitting. They said to try a small local auto parts store that I had not been aware of. I drove over and talked to the guy at the counter. I showed him the picture from the Grainger website. He went in the back and after a couple of minutes emerged with the fitting in hand! It is a taper and it fit perfectly into the filter housing.

IMG_6573.jpg

I got it installed between the hard line to the carb and the filter housing. The hard line came from Inline Tube. I got the stainless steel version.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/scae5901

IMG_6571.jpg

This was part of a bigger project. I had the original Carter AFB rebuilt by Daytona Parts Company. They did a fantastic job. The carb looks like it is brand new right out of 1959. I installed it with a new phenolic spacer and the correct manifold-gasket-spacer-gasket-stainless plate-indian head sealer-carb stack all setup.

IMG_6579.jpg

The car runs like a dream! I have the idle set to the correct 450rpm while in drive and she runs so smooth. I'm very pleased with how it all came out.

IMG_6572.jpg

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and help!

IMG_3402.JPG

1959 Coupe DeVille

Roger Zimmermann

Just a small detail: you are using rubber separators for the spark plug wires. To install them, it's necessary to cut the separator to enter the wire(s). You did the cut on the wrong side: they must be towards the bracket and not up...It makes the separator's installation easier!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

59-in-pieces

Roger.

Eyes of the eagle.

Impressive - as are your miniature and fabrication skills.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Steve!
I noticed the wrong side cut because I did once the error!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

KingmanCadillac

Nice job !
I'm not sure on the 59 60 but according to the authenticity manual for the 57 the fuel pump would be painted blue with the motor.

Tim from Daytona parts Co. Is really is a great guy
That carb looks beautiful

Thor Stone
1957 Cadillac CDV
1964 Fleetwood (Project)
1964 Cadillac SDV
1964 Cadillac CDV (Project)
1965 Cadillac CDV (Project)
1966 Cadillac CDV (Project)
1967 Cadillac SDV (Project)
1967 Fleetwood (Project)
1968 Eldorado (Project)